2LV8ETR

Grampa Spec Cockhead

• Vice President
  • 3017 posts
  • LocationArmadale WA
  • Car(s):RB30DET R32 Gts-t Sedan, Hilux SSR-G Surf 4x4
  • Bike(s):Hyosung GT250-R, My wife...
Start Up

Just a bit of info to give everyone considering this build a heads up on a couple of things leading up to the startup.

1: The dump pipe had to be modified to fit. As you all know (I've repeated a few times now), the block is 40mm higher than the RB20DET so things are a little out of whack. I took the pipe into Exhaust Torque a few minutes from where I work and I asked them to modify it to suit. I requested 40mm extra to be cut in and welded. Mark was a litlle hesitant as he thought that things would not line up properly upon fitment but I told him that I would massge what needed, if needed. As it turns out, there was no need for the sledge hammer.

Download Full Size Image

Posted Image

2: The bonnet just did not want to close. Understandably so.

If you look at the video above I have cut out sections of the bracing to allow it to shut. NOTE: I DID NOT USE A GOOD BONNET FOR THIS!!!!!!!!

There was no fucking way I was cutting into my GT-R bonnet, so I had to boong spec an old GTS-t bonnet until I can sort out a more permanent solution. This will probably be along the lines of an FRP item.

3: Replace the water pump. I thought that the one I had originally would be okay as it was very new. The inside was immaculate but the outside looked as though it had been left to rust on the pulley when I got to it to install it. After startup there was a water leak coming from the bearing seal under the pump. It must have been because it was sitting around for some time that it decided to shit itself, who knows? I lost an hour and a half of my life replacing it. Whooppppeeeeeee beans, but lesson learned.

Cost - $120.00 (Dump pipe modification by Exhaust Torque)
Cost - $52.15 (Water pump from Auto One.)
Cost - $85.00 (Engine oil from Auto One)
Cost - $14.75 (Coolant Concentrate From Auto One)
Cost - $52.50 (Drive belts from Auto One)

Total Spent - $1785.61

Posted Image

2LV8ETR

2LV8ETR

Grampa Spec Cockhead

• Vice President
  • 3017 posts
  • LocationArmadale WA
Day 3

I have been driving the car locally here and there for a couple of days over the weekend just to see how things are progressing with it. I've been staying close to home just in case something went pear shaped, I could easily get it home to analyse any issue .

My opinion at present is high as a fucking kite. Even with a shitty RB20DET stock turbo and injectors, the response is amazing. I was driving at 30km'h in 5th gear, then put my foot down - instant acceleration. If I tried doing this in the RB20DET I would still be waiting right now for the fucker to speed up. I can't wait to run it in and drop some real goodies on it.

I drove to work and back today without any issues at all, I even got a little sideways on a roundabout leading into work that's covered in sand due to construction in the area, and wanted to give it a bootfull, but I was able to restrain myself - just.

A couple of things I have noticed though is that I will need to change the diff out. I had an auto diff in there originally to compensate for the lack of torque in the 20DET, but I will need to gear it up now because this thing can pull a skin off a rice pudding, unlike the 20DET.
I have a vibration under the car and lifted it up to find that the center bearing was completely shot. I'm surprised that it wasn't picked up when it was put in but ya get that. Too much of a boner that drained the blood from my brain whilst putting it all together in anticipation of finally getting to drive it. Easy fix.
My headlights are not working. I discovered this late yesterday afternoon and simply hot wired them to work for now. I have relay action at the box, but no power to the lights. Should be an easy fix.

Other than that, I'll keep updating you all as time progresses and give you the good, and bad news as it happens.

Posted Image

V8EATER

V8EATER

The fearless leader thats born to cruise...

• President
  • 2551 posts
  • LocationMiles in front of you....
  • Car(s):R32 GTS4 4 Door with RB26DETT, R32 GTS-T Coupe Drift Pig, HJ Prem Wgn, 1947 Holden Pontiac Silver Streak
  • Bike(s):None. Stick em up your ass! Im jinxed riding them.
Wank wank. Good work bro.

Posted Image
Go Hard Or Fuck Off Home. Kick Ass, Take No Prisoners!!!

All donations to West Coast Cruisers is very much appreciated

2LV8ETR

2LV8ETR

Grampa Spec Cockhead

• Vice President
  • 3017 posts
  • LocationArmadale WA
1 Month Update

All is well. I have 1,300km under my belt and she's still going strong.

There have been a few occasions where I have pushed it to 5,000rpm and it sounds so sweet! I won't dare take it further than that because of the stock injectors and ceramic turbo, but I had a little curiosity flood over me at the time.

Once I have made a decision on the turbo, I will let you all know what I have selected.

Until then, it's business as usual as I still have a lot of side work taking away the majority of my weekends.

Posted Image

landscribble

landscribble

Bugatti Veyron Super Sport

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 295 posts
  • LocationNOR
  • Car(s):R33 GTS-t
http://www.westcoast...4851#entry24851 :whistling:

2LV8ETR

2LV8ETR

Grampa Spec Cockhead

• Vice President
  • 3017 posts
  • LocationArmadale WA
Haha! The GT42 is an 800hp+ turbo, would be laggy as fuck for me. Even a GT35 would be too big.

This is something I would put on the 600hp+ build.

Posted Image