189 replies to this topic

Nic_A31

Nic_A31

Bugatti Veyron Super Sport

• Paid Member
  • 280 posts
  • LocationSwan View
  • Car(s):Nissan Cefiro A31 ( x2 )
OK so yesterday, myself and Rhys decided we'd try and intercept W.C.C. cruise at the second meet point.
Didn't happen.

Initially cutting out under boost but eventuated into cutting out under load.
Started banging up JUST as Great Eastern Highway turns flat again around Glen Forrest.
Let it cool down and replaced ignitor box and got enough go out of her to make it to the Caltex, problem returned. Tried a whole bunch of shit and concluded it had to be fuel delivery problem.
Opened the tank up, spent about 3 minutes trying to force the cradle to come out of the tank, eventually succeeded and there it was, the filter bag was clogged with some skanky looking sludge. Ripped the bag off, chucked it back in, chucked some more fuel in it (as without the bag its lowest point was now and inch or so higher, and fuel was already running low somehow) and ran perfectly all day. Could have easily caught up with cruise but really wasn't sure if we'd permanently rectified the problem or not, and I'd already blown Christmas budget to chick more fuel in.

Cleaned the whole car yesterday afternoon and quiet devastated to find that bulk bird shit has left inconsistencies in the paint which may or may not be fixable - it'll either be on it's way to becoming a nice looking Cefiro with decent paint, or the ultimate shitter sleeper. From 2 metres or further away it isn't really noticeable, but still it's not ideal.

Stay tuned for more true stories.

Stay tuned.

NA_Goodness

NA_Goodness

Resident Photographer

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 3414 posts
  • LocationUnder The Bonnet, Behind The Camera
  • Car(s):1x Giant Fridge, 1x Smaller Freezer
  • Bike(s):Hopefully before January
Spewing about the paint! I've got a buffer if you want to borrow it, you'll just need to buy some new pads for it.

Go for the decent paint option. We both know how epic Camrys look with nice paint, kit and wheels. You've got the wheels and stance part downpacked already!
RM_Photography
RM_Photography on Facebook

RM_Photography!

Resident supplier of Garret, Sonic Performance, Turbosmart and all Bosch products.
MTQ Engine Systems

Practicality is an unfamiliar concept...

PUNCTUATION SAVES LIVES!!
-Lets eat Grandma
-Let's eat, Grandma!

Nic_A31

Nic_A31

• Paid Member
  • 280 posts
  • LocationSwan View
Hopefully it'll buff out.
I gave some area's a quick buff, for some parts it helped, other parts turned up worse the more I worked on them. So I might just finish fixing up the rust spots, get them resprayed, and then whole car detailed professionally.

Guy on DriftWA looking for C33 panels, might be doing a swap of mine for his Cefiro bumpers and panels if they're in better shape than mine. Might very well be going the clean look.

Nic_A31

Nic_A31

• Paid Member
  • 280 posts
  • LocationSwan View
Ceffy

+

Posted Image

=

3 Mauled hose clamps.
I will emphasis MAULED as in this time it didn't pop the thread back, or unwind the thread, it simply forced the bolt back the whole way through and completely destroyed the thread on the clamps.
Hearing 14+ PSI of air instantly de-spool sounds amazing but probably not doing wonders for the motor.

Pics to come of painted heatshields and some other shit I've tidied up.

Nic_A31

Nic_A31

• Paid Member
  • 280 posts
  • LocationSwan View
Latest effort.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Fitted all new hose clamps $30 later all over the joint.

Pics of painted heat-shields. They got another quick coat before I took it for a drive.
Posted Image

Unsure on new boost controller. Hits 14PSI intermittently but response is a fair bit later. Starts coming on around 2500 and hitting 14 @ 4000-4500 or so.

Hanaldo

Hanaldo

Resident WCC Aerosol Spray Painter

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 1902 posts
  • Car(s):R34 GT Skyline with GTT engine
Yeh I had a few clamps looking like that, replaced them with some heavy duty ones.

What boost controller???

Nic_A31

Nic_A31

• Paid Member
  • 280 posts
  • LocationSwan View
Read up for pics of boost controller.
The Turbotech one off eBay.

Socrates

Socrates

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 900 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia
  • Car(s):1978 C210 Nissan Skyline 2400GT
  • Bike(s):2004 "30 years of BMX" Mongoose Mischief
ebc is the way to go isn't it?

Nic_A31

Nic_A31

• Paid Member
  • 280 posts
  • LocationSwan View
manual boost controllers for basic setups.
Electronic for mid / wannabe's
External gate + EBC for big power.

Seems with my app the manual controller does more harm than good.
Creates more lag and I now lack top end power.
Refer to my Antilag post for details.

Hanaldo

Hanaldo

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 1902 posts

manual boost controllers for cheapos
Electronic for mid / wannabe's
External gate + EBC for big power.

Seems with my app the manual controller does more harm than good.
Creates more lag and I now lack top end power.
Refer to my Antilag post for details.

Fixed.

EBC ftw. Haven´t met anyone that has been 100% impressed with a manual controller. EBC´s are awesome, can adjust everything. My turbo goes from 0-20psi in about half a second thanks to the gain setting on mine.

Nic_A31

Nic_A31

• Paid Member
  • 280 posts
  • LocationSwan View
Sounds like overkill for a stocker with a plastic turbo if you ask me.
Must be blind if you havent seen the amount of people impressed with the Turbotech MBC, especially given that they hold boost up at high revs better than EBCs like GReddy Profec B-Spec II.

Hanaldo

Hanaldo

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 1902 posts
Don´t see why it´s overkill, it maximises the potential of the turbo rather than playing within the stock setups limits. I´m not saying crank it to 20psi, but it looks like your boost controller isn´t working for you. Full boost on a small stocker turbo @4500rpm seems laggy as fuck dude... And it takes 2000rpm to spool to 14psi?

I guess I´m only comparing to what I have experienced but as of yet I haven´t been impressed by MBCs. I don´t have any issues with boost control on my car. Never spikes above it´s setting which is currently 16psi, and the 20psi actuator holds that fine to redline. But it´s the improvement in response that really impresses me.

Socrates

Socrates

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 900 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia
  • Car(s):1978 C210 Nissan Skyline 2400GT
  • Bike(s):2004 "30 years of BMX" Mongoose Mischief
i thought if you have 20psi actuator then the lowest boost you can have is 20psi unless this is something different?

Nic_A31

Nic_A31

• Paid Member
  • 280 posts
  • LocationSwan View
The issue with the MBC is still being rectified so it's unfair to say its doing good or bad at this stage.. It's a bit silly to say MBCs are cheapos or second to EBCs if you've only ever had an EBC.
Manual controllers can do the same thing - the difference is electronics can adjust it on the fly, and look fully sikh inside. MBCs, especially the one I'm using have proven to hold boost better than electronically controlled solenoids. And my point about your turbo was anything more than the factory actuator's capability is starting to compromise the turbo itself, 'in my opinion'.

Socs, do a quick Google on how Boost Controllers Work.

2LV8ETR

2LV8ETR

Grampa Spec Cockhead

• Vice President
  • 3017 posts
  • LocationArmadale WA
  • Car(s):RB30DET R32 Gts-t Sedan, Hilux SSR-G Surf 4x4
  • Bike(s):Hyosung GT250-R, My wife...
EBC=Toss.

Mine's a manual with an electronic bypass. It's either stock or flick a switch and it's set to 20psi. I don't suffer from spikes or creep and it holds well. Before this one I had a Turbosmart manual and I had the same stability.
I've installed many and the owners are happy with the results.

I've known people with EBC's and they have had issues with reliability, and others who say that they work well.

To dismiss an MBC purely on the fact that they're cheap is inane.

You don't need to fuck around with a shitload of electronic settings to make your turbo work. They are as much wank factor as turbo timers in my opinion.

Posted Image

Hanaldo

Hanaldo

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 1902 posts

i thought if you have 20psi actuator then the lowest boost you can have is 20psi unless this is something different?

20psi atmospherical actuator, lower at the manifold.

The issue with the MBC is still being rectified so it's unfair to say its doing good or bad at this stage.. It's a bit silly to say MBCs are cheapos or second to EBCs if you've only ever had an EBC.
Manual controllers can do the same thing - the difference is electronics can adjust it on the fly, and look fully sikh inside. MBCs, especially the one I'm using have proven to hold boost better than electronically controlled solenoids. And my point about your turbo was anything more than the factory actuator's capability is starting to compromise the turbo itself, 'in my opinion'.

Socs, do a quick Google on how Boost Controllers Work.

Fair enough. As I said, I´m only comparing to what I have experienced. But how do you adjust the gain with a MBC? How do you adjust anything other than boost pressure?

EBC=Toss.

Mine's a manual with an electronic bypass. It's either stock or flick a switch and it's set to 20psi. I don't suffer from spikes or creep and it holds well. Before this one I had a Turbosmart manual and I had the same stability.
I've installed many and the owners are happy with the results.

I've known people with EBC's and they have had issues with reliability, and others who say that they work well.

To dismiss an MBC purely on the fact that they're cheap is inane.

You don't need to fuck around with a shitload of electronic settings to make your turbo work. They are as much wank factor as turbo timers in my opinion.

Yeh wasn´t dismissing them because they are cheap. Also didn´t get an EBC for wank factor, I got an EBC because I wanted an accurate indicator of boost pressure and wanted to be able to set a boost-cut in the event of a spike.

Just out of a matter of interest Allen, are you using the stock actuator? You must get a fair bit of a drop off at high rpm?

2LV8ETR

2LV8ETR

Grampa Spec Cockhead

• Vice President
  • 3017 posts
  • LocationArmadale WA
  • Car(s):RB30DET R32 Gts-t Sedan, Hilux SSR-G Surf 4x4
  • Bike(s):Hyosung GT250-R, My wife...
Yes, it still has the stock actuator, and no, I have no issues at all with drop off.

Posted Image

Nic_A31

Nic_A31

• Paid Member
  • 280 posts
  • LocationSwan View

Fair enough. As I said, I´m only comparing to what I have experienced. But how do you adjust the gain with a MBC? How do you adjust anything other than boost pressure?

No solenoids n weird shit going on with MBC, so no "gain" or settings. Spring, ball, all adjusts via one screw. Easy.

Nic_A31

Nic_A31

• Paid Member
  • 280 posts
  • LocationSwan View
Snapped some pics of it this morning on my own front lawn for a change.
Swapped the original interior back in as the black interior was getting a bit dirty and worn out (and I wanna save it for the other Ceffy) and gave it a decent vacuum with all the seats out.
Body is reasonably clean since I washed it last week, can't quiet see all the bulk bird shit damage which I am proud to announce IS removeable after all by the looks of it - gotta give it a proper wash now and see how I go :)

Spot the difference, it's at the front somewhere.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hanaldo

Hanaldo

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 1902 posts

Yes, it still has the stock actuator, and no, I have no issues at all with drop off.

Interesting.

No solenoids n weird shit going on with MBC, so no "gain" or settings. Spring, ball, all adjusts via one screw. Easy.

So essentially all it does is control boost? You can´t improve response or anything else? Could not you achieve the same thing with just an upgraded actuator?

I shall read up :) Car looks good man, all the panels actually look quite clean. Looks like if you resprayed the front and rear bumpers then it would shake the ´shitter´ title :)