Photo

Project "Red"

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

V8EATER

V8EATER

The fearless leader thats born to cruise...

• President
  • 2551 posts
  • LocationMiles in front of you....
  • Car(s):R32 GTS4 4 Door with RB26DETT, R32 GTS-T Coupe Drift Pig, HJ Prem Wgn, 1947 Holden Pontiac Silver Streak
  • Bike(s):None. Stick em up your ass! Im jinxed riding them.
Yer there pretty good. The one in the picture is just a cheap one you can get. The one that the rad people use is much bigger and better. But hey, if the one in picture does the job, WGAF.

Posted Image
Go Hard Or Fuck Off Home. Kick Ass, Take No Prisoners!!!

All donations to West Coast Cruisers is very much appreciated

V8EATER

V8EATER

• President
  • 2551 posts
  • Car(s):R32 GTS4 4 Door with RB26DETT, R32 GTS-T Coupe Drift Pig, HJ Prem Wgn, 1947 Holden Pontiac Silver Streak
Well today, i got some more bits and pieces for Red. These were...

New 70 degree thermostat,
Thermostat housing and gasket,
Coolant,
New sparkies,
5L Penrite oil (Only the best, cram that other shit up your ass. Penrite all the way!)
New oil filter
New air cleaner filter (Not pictured)
New inline fuel filter
My old double pumper fuel rail off my methanol 327 chev. (Looking very lonely in the horse shed)

Posted Image

Today i got the fuel rail on with the fuel lines plumbed up, the thermosat on, sparkies in, the new leads on and wired it up for a quick start to see if it ran. I aslo started to put the alternator on by combing two togther to make one, but i ran into problems, so i decided to put it into the to hard basket for the moment. I will sort that later.

Now i dont know if anyone has made there own leads to length before, but fuck they are a pain in the ass to do. The hardest part is getting the lead thru the right angled bend rubber boots. What a head fuck. What a time consuming cunt of a job that is. I can tell ya that!

Bretto 1, 8x rubber boots 0

First off it didnt quite wanted to start. It wanted to, but it just wasn't enough to start, i retarded the dizzy and vroom, she sat the idling loud as fuck with no exhaust on. I took the muffler off ready for it to be replaced. Of coarse i couldnt help myself, i had to give it a few good revs to wake the neighbors up and say ITS ALIVE!!!!!

Air cleaner also went on today but its not shown in the picture below.

Posted Image

Tomorrow's job is to get the radiator done with the replacement thermo fans attached, plus get the sump changed over. I also intend on putting a oil cooler to the engine just to cut a couple of degrees down on the engine. Every little bit helps to keep this beast cool.

If things are going well, i will be taking it to the dyno day. I still reckon this engine has a shit load of torque and i would like to know what it has got.

Posted Image

NA_Goodness

NA_Goodness

Resident Photographer

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 3414 posts
  • LocationUnder The Bonnet, Behind The Camera
  • Car(s):1x Giant Fridge, 1x Smaller Freezer
  • Bike(s):Hopefully before January
Fuck yeah, man!! Starting to look awesome!! Many, many shiny parts in that eminent bay too, makes it look pretty special! I reckon keep the muffler off my Lano. Let those pesky bikes know who's king of the dunes ;) Obviously that option isn't viable for the driving too and from... :confused:
RM_Photography
RM_Photography on Facebook

RM_Photography!

Resident supplier of Garret, Sonic Performance, Turbosmart and all Bosch products.
MTQ Engine Systems

Practicality is an unfamiliar concept...

PUNCTUATION SAVES LIVES!!
-Lets eat Grandma
-Let's eat, Grandma!

V8EATER

V8EATER

• President
  • 2551 posts
Is it? It wouldnt stop me. I drove around in my wagon for a year with a 2" hole in the muffler before i changed it. Now that was load.

Posted Image

NA_Goodness

NA_Goodness

Resident Photographer

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 3414 posts
I just added that cos I thought you were "mature". Stupid me... Go nuts!!! The car is so illegal anyway :P
RM_Photography

RM_Photography!

Resident supplier of Garret, Sonic Performance, Turbosmart and all Bosch products.
MTQ Engine Systems

-Lets eat Grandma
-Let's eat, Grandma!

Char

Char

Bugatti Veyron Super Sport

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 766 posts
  • Car(s):R32 ca18de conversion
hahaha spot the new parts.
in all seriousness tho, i think ur working on the wrong car :wavey:

NA_Goodness

NA_Goodness

Resident Photographer

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 3414 posts
You haven't seen this thing in action... It's the right car right now!!
Although that Premier needs some serious attention soon Brett!
RM_Photography

RM_Photography!

MTQ Engine Systems

-Lets eat Grandma
-Let's eat, Grandma!

Char

Char

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 766 posts
i was refering to a twin turbo v8

NA_Goodness

NA_Goodness

Resident Photographer

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 3414 posts
Yeah that needs attention too... But the Premier!! :wackit:
RM_Photography

RM_Photography!

MTQ Engine Systems

-Lets eat Grandma
-Let's eat, Grandma!

V8EATER

V8EATER

• President
  • 2551 posts
Yes i do agree. Out of all my cars, the wagon is my favourite. And if i had to sell all my cars (And i mean everything) that one would be the last to go, not that i would sell it. It means to much to me.

Now the wagon is what you all would like to see go sideways down the road. It is quite a hand full, i can tell you that. My theory was and always been, if i can handle that thing sideways around corners, i could pretty well drive any car nuts around a corner. I use to go pretty stupid in it sideways all the time. Its a tank! :drivingskid:

Posted Image

V8EATER

V8EATER

• President
  • 2551 posts
Well i was gonna post this tomorrow but i might as well do it tonight.

More work was done on Red today. Radiators in with its replacement thermo fans attached. Took a bit modify to get it to fit in there but with a bit of angle grinding and few holes drilled, it was done. A very tight squeeze, i can tell you that. If i ever fuck a fan belt, the radiators got to come out to replace it coz there is absolutely no room between the pulley and the thermo fans to get it out. I had to cut bits out of the thermo fans to get the pulleys to clear.

The radiator, ready to go in.
Posted Image

Note the pieces cut out to clear the pulleys.
Posted Image

No much clearance now
Posted Image

Once the radiator was in, i started it up and began to see if it would get hot. Normally if i was to have it sit there, even on a day like today, the temp would just rise and rise and rise into the hot. Well today after running it for 3/4 hour, it didn't move off 1/4 temp. So far thats a win! :banana:

The thermo fans are so much quieter than the old ones and now just slightly putting your hand in front of the radiator, you can really feel the air being drawn thru now were as before, it was piss poor. I also checked the timing while i was at it. Mr fig jam, i had it spot on from ear when i tuned it yesterday. Currently its on 12 degrees. I will see how that goes first and then i will advance it up further to the point of just before pinging. I have been told by many that AMC motors love to be advanced, but not to the point of it pinging. Its all trial and error at this stage.

Also the carby has made a big difference. It is so much sharper in responce and it doesnt have a stupid flat spot anymore. Ive also notice that that harmonic balancer makes the engine run smoother without shaking the car apart when reving the engine. Its all thumbs up. :thumbsup:

The next thing is to do the sump, find a replacement solution for an alternator and do the exhaust. The way things are going, it will be hitting the dyno on dyno day.

Pic of how it is now.
Posted Image

Posted Image

NA_Goodness

NA_Goodness

Resident Photographer

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 3414 posts
Wow, thats a tight fit :confused:

How did the neighbours like you idling the car for that long without an exhaust?? haha
RM_Photography

RM_Photography!

MTQ Engine Systems

-Lets eat Grandma
-Let's eat, Grandma!

V8EATER

V8EATER

• President
  • 2551 posts
I duno and i dont really GAF. I bet grandad next door probably didnt even hear it.

I know Mariannes car didnt like it. The alarm keep going off every time i rev'd it up.

Posted Image

NA_Goodness

NA_Goodness

Resident Photographer

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 3414 posts
Hahaha!! Nice :P
Still, it was during the day and was a one off thing. Cops couldn't do anything anyway, so nothing neighbours can do.
RM_Photography

RM_Photography!

MTQ Engine Systems

-Lets eat Grandma
-Let's eat, Grandma!

Char

Char

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 766 posts
u can come round mine n fit mine next week! im still pondering how im going to attach my 2 12" thermos.. i want to run them behind the ic tho(not the clutch fan side) gona have to get them to spin the right way etc or they dont work. good thing it didnt come with instructions

2LV8ETR

2LV8ETR

Grampa Spec Cockhead

• Vice President
  • 3017 posts
  • LocationArmadale WA
  • Car(s):RB30DET R32 Gts-t Sedan, Hilux SSR-G Surf 4x4
  • Bike(s):Hyosung GT250-R, My wife...

I bet grandad next door probably didnt even hear it.

He probably didn't, but the rats we threw on his roof would have gone batshit.

Posted Image

V8EATER

V8EATER

• President
  • 2551 posts
Red had some more stuff done today with the help of Allen. She's now all ready to rock and roll besides having the sump replaced.

Today a S/H alternator was bought and fitted to the car as me and Al just couldn't get something to match up and work with what i had lying around. Getting something to work with a internal regulator, just wasn't gonna happen. So a S/H Lucas alternator was the go. Problem solved.

The exhaust wasn't really fixed today as the muffler i had lying around to go onto it wasn't going to line up correctly, so i just bashed the fuck out of it with a hammer to jam the baffles to stop it from rattling. Problem temporary solved. :P

After getting the exhaust system back on, we took it for a run for a quick tune. Starting off at 12 degrees on the timing, i could tell straight away that the timing needed advancing. I could just tell it didn't have the poke i should have due to struggling and it didnt want to increase in revs. After many increments of adjusting the timing, we cranked it up to 20 degrees BTDC. At this setting it seem to be pretty happy as it had alot more pull and it seemed to rev out better in general without it pinging as yet. I personally think it could go further in advance but at the moment, i will see how it goes being at 20 degrees. The dyno day tomorrow will tell me a bit more of a story.

The last few things i have to do to Red are, the sump, a new custom exhaust system, new tyres, window tinting and a paint job. After that, she's all complete and ready for launching off the dunes again.

Fuck i cant wait! :banana:

Posted Image

V8EATER

V8EATER

• President
  • 2551 posts
Well Red had its first dyno run yesterday making a wopping 122.8HP (90.32Kw)

Now thats some neck breaking figures!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio

• Moderator - Paid Member -Donator
  • 1302 posts
Nice smooth power curve which is good.

AListair also said to me that the dyno doesn't like the large tyres, so it's probably actually putting out a few more ponies ;)

V8EATER

V8EATER

• President
  • 2551 posts
Probably. Ive noticed that the rockers are starting to get a bit noisy and they need adjusting. Its developing a nice tap tap noise. That would be a bit of a power loss.

I might also look at advancing the timing further to squeeze a bit more grunt out of it.

Posted Image