Photo

Project "Red"

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

V8EATER

V8EATER

The fearless leader thats born to cruise...

• President
  • 2551 posts
  • LocationMiles in front of you....
  • Car(s):R32 GTS4 4 Door with RB26DETT, R32 GTS-T Coupe Drift Pig, HJ Prem Wgn, 1947 Holden Pontiac Silver Streak
  • Bike(s):None. Stick em up your ass! Im jinxed riding them.
Howdee peoples,

As most know, i have a 1982 HJ60 Land Cruiser with an AMC 360 6L V8 and its nickname is "Red". Ive had this car for about (im guessing) 3 1/2 years now and when i first got it, i paid $1000 for it with a seized 2H Diesel motor. The motor was f'd from the previous owner running it out of oil and not checking it. The dumb ass said to me that he thought that the car was slowing down and stopping from having blocked injectors. Little did he know that the dam thing had no friggen oil in it and he persisted to keep driving it changing injectors and all sorts of things with the end result grinding it to a halt seizing the engine with then realizing it had no oil in it. What a twat!.

At the time i had a blue 60 series land cruiser with a 2H turbo diesel nicknamed "Blue". I used this car to pick up Red and i took it back home. The very next day i visited my bro in law's house just for a quick g'day and while i was there, one of Nelson's mates living with him at the time named Luke had a Merc 450 SL out the back yard that he was always working on. This thing as you can imagine just looked like another std Merc 450 SL that you see on the road everday and i never had any interest to have a look at it. I just thought it was just another piece of shit Merc and i always turned a blind eye to it not having a good look.

On the day i visited, i got talking to Luke and he mentioned that he had to get rid of the car ASAP because he was moving up to Port Hedland for some work. I asked him with not much interest how much he wanted. He said to me that he didn't want anything for the car and that he just wanted it gone as he was quite desperate to get rid of it. With me thinking in my head "might as well have a look and see if i can help out" i began to have a look at the car. It was rusted, fucked and pretty well rooted and not really good for anything. Even the interior was f'd. After looking around the car, i thought to myself, this things a pig and it ain't worth taking home. A few minutes go by and he say's to me "Do you want a look under the bonnet?". I said yer might as well and he began to open the bonnet. Well fuck me, i was shocked to find that this merc was no std piece of shit and it had been modified to have a V8 in it apparently used for doing skids being unlic as some fun. Looking at the engine scratching my head not knowing what it was, i asked him what engine it was. Luke had no idea of what engine it was and thought it was a Hemi 360 V8. With him saying that i thought, narrrr that ain't no Hemi and it is something else. Never seeing this engine before in my life, i then asked if it ran. The answer was yep and he got a battery to start it up to show me. As Luke started to connect the battery leads, he said to me "It hasn't started in ages so duno if its gona start". I said give it a shot and we will see how it goes. Luke then began to start the car without even pushing the accelerator and vrrooom, it was alive and it just sat there purring like a kitten idling. By this stage i had a hard on and thought "fark yerrr, its coming home with me now". I gave the engine a few revs to see if it blew smoke or anything but nup there was nothing. I was impressed! I simply couldn't take it for free and i gave him $50 bucks for it and i then drove it home unlic. On my way home, i tried giving it some stick but the auto was that fried from all the burnouts it had done in the past, it was only just driving the car slipping really badly.

Once i got the car home, i started to do my home work and i then found out that the engine was actually a AMC 360 from a Rambler Javelin. I scored big time and i then made the decission to use it Red.

Now with no one ever making a adapter kit to go from AMC to Land Cruiser box before, everything had to be custom made. I began by purchasing a s/h bell housing off a 2F petrol motor as it was easier to work with. Once changing this, i then purchased an adapter kit to go from the 2F bell housing to 350 Chev bolt pattern. My reason for getting this adapter was so i had something to fall back on if the AMC didn't work out allowing me to put a 350 Chev in it if need be. Once having the adapter kit, i then began to make an adapter plate to go from the 350 Chev bolt pattern to the AMC. The adapter was made from an inch thick alloy plate and it was milled to have it fit up correctly. The flywheel, clutch and starter mount point also had to be custom made for the project. After many many hours spent making the adapter, it was done and the engine was in. A custom made exhaust system, radiator and engine mounts were also fabricated once the engine was in.

After the engine was fitted into the car, i then began to swap a few bits from Blue to Red. These things were the front diff as it was locked and the bullbar as the one Blue had was better looking. Shortly after doing all these changes, Red was ready for action and it was put to use.

Now, since having the car on the road, i have always had the drama of it boiling its ring out and ive never fixed the problem. Every time i go nuts in it bush bashing, i would have to take the bonnet off to keep it cool but that would only last about 10 mins before it was boiling again. Other problems ive had with the car is radiator hoses exploding in half, coils shitting them selfs from the heat under the bonnet, points burning them selfs out, carby leaking like a siv and have flat spots, water pump pissing out water thru the bypass seal hole, a wobbly harmonic balancer and a major oil leak from the sump after launching the car many times thumping the diff onto the sump.

Well guess what peoples, thats all about to stop as i have started ordering replacement parts for the car to fix all these issues. Things that i have bought so far to replace are...

New HEI electronic dizzy with built in coil pack
New spark plugs with 90 degree 8.5mm leads
New 600 CFM Holley carby
New harmonic balancer
New chunky tyres
New water pump
New thermostat housing
Replacement Muffler (Old ones got broken baffles which i would imagine it would be giving alot of back pressure to the motor restricting power)
Replace sump with another S/H
EL - EF S/H Thermo fans

And last but not least, a new Red paint job.

As time goes on working, on the car, i will be updating information with the progress of things to show everyone what is being done to the car.

I love Red, and to be honest, i cant see myself selling it in a hurry as ive had too much fun in it. Just ask Rhys and Scott.

Posted Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMoWJUxhepE

Posted Image
Go Hard Or Fuck Off Home. Kick Ass, Take No Prisoners!!!

All donations to West Coast Cruisers is very much appreciated

NA_Goodness

NA_Goodness

Resident Photographer

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 3414 posts
  • LocationUnder The Bonnet, Behind The Camera
  • Car(s):1x Giant Fridge, 1x Smaller Freezer
  • Bike(s):Hopefully before January
I LOVE this car!!! Such an awesome beast, has definitely inspired me to get one of my own. Perhaps even before my bike? Who knows
Fkn funny watching it drive around Lano without a bonnet! And one attempt to climb that hill, with the only other person to succeed being Nelson after 10 or so attempts.

Next time you take it out, I'll have to tag along with the camera, mate! This thing deserves to be immortallised in photography!!!
RM_Photography
RM_Photography on Facebook

RM_Photography!

Resident supplier of Garret, Sonic Performance, Turbosmart and all Bosch products.
MTQ Engine Systems

Practicality is an unfamiliar concept...

PUNCTUATION SAVES LIVES!!
-Lets eat Grandma
-Let's eat, Grandma!

V8EATER

V8EATER

• President
  • 2551 posts
  • Car(s):R32 GTS4 4 Door with RB26DETT, R32 GTS-T Coupe Drift Pig, HJ Prem Wgn, 1947 Holden Pontiac Silver Streak
Sure thing mate! :thumbsup:

Posted Image

Tritty

Tritty

Bugatti Veyron Super Sport

• Secretary
  • 750 posts
  • LocationKenwick WA
  • Car(s):R32 GTR, HB Torana SL Series 2 (Project), GQ Patrol
Got another thing you can add to your list, weld the roo bar together with the side bars. or bolt them or something. :rolleyes:
I love Red too, apart from good to have fun in she is also a good tow rig.

Its the little things in life that count.

V8EATER

V8EATER

• President
  • 2551 posts
Yup. Tinted windows is another thing on the list that i forgot to mention.

I picked up the thermo fans today so they are ready to go on.

Posted Image

NA_Goodness

NA_Goodness

Resident Photographer

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 3414 posts
Lol! I remember trying to sit on the side bars and them nearly falling off :P Gave me a bit of a fright!
RM_Photography

RM_Photography!

Resident supplier of Garret, Sonic Performance, Turbosmart and all Bosch products.
MTQ Engine Systems

-Lets eat Grandma
-Let's eat, Grandma!

V8EATER

V8EATER

• President
  • 2551 posts
LOL Shes custom. You wont see another like it. :P

Posted Image

NA_Goodness

NA_Goodness

Resident Photographer

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 3414 posts
"Custon"... I'm using that next time I fuck something up mechanically! Lol
RM_Photography

RM_Photography!

MTQ Engine Systems

-Lets eat Grandma
-Let's eat, Grandma!

2LV8ETR

2LV8ETR

Grampa Spec Cockhead

• Vice President
  • 3017 posts
  • LocationArmadale WA
  • Car(s):RB30DET R32 Gts-t Sedan, Hilux SSR-G Surf 4x4
  • Bike(s):Hyosung GT250-R, My wife...
Which is often from what I've been told :stickpoke:

Posted Image

NA_Goodness

NA_Goodness

Resident Photographer

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 3414 posts
HA! No one here knows my work, so any info you have is completely made up :)
RM_Photography

RM_Photography!

MTQ Engine Systems

-Lets eat Grandma
-Let's eat, Grandma!

V8EATER

V8EATER

• President
  • 2551 posts
My big "fuck off" dizzy has arrived with my new harmonic balancer. Im also waiting for water pump and other odds and sods to arrive.

Cant wait to get the beast going again. The pig wouldn't start the other day for some reason. I think the carby is totally stuffed. I hate vacuum secondary carbys. Prefer manual any day. After a few times off trying to get it started the other day, i said fuck it and shut the bonnet. I will get back into it when all the parts arrive.

Pics of the parts

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

NA_Goodness

NA_Goodness

Resident Photographer

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 3414 posts
Oooh!! Looks like you mean business there! Lol. Shame about not starting, I'm not a huge fan of carbies personally. They cause more issues then they're worth for me, but they definitely work.
RM_Photography

RM_Photography!

MTQ Engine Systems

-Lets eat Grandma
-Let's eat, Grandma!

V8EATER

V8EATER

• President
  • 2551 posts
True.

Posted Image

2LV8ETR

2LV8ETR

Grampa Spec Cockhead

• Vice President
  • 3017 posts
  • LocationArmadale WA
Is there an EFI kit available for this engine?

Posted Image

Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio

Bugatti Veyron Super Sport

• Moderator - Paid Member -Donator
  • 1302 posts
Yes, yes there is.

... hey it's a 50/50 call, I'll take my chances! :D

V8EATER

V8EATER

• President
  • 2551 posts

Is there an EFI kit available for this engine?

I really duno ay. Never looked into it. Hmmm you got me thinking now. You have a tendency of doing that with your ideas. :D

I will look into it.

Posted Image

V8EATER

V8EATER

• President
  • 2551 posts
Look what i find. EFI Kit Duno just yet but looks promising. I do have some questions to ask first before i make a decission.

Theres an edelbrock kit but its worth more than the dam car. Bugger that. Looks nice. Its all shinny. Link

Posted Image

NA_Goodness

NA_Goodness

Resident Photographer

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 3414 posts
Hmmm. That looks promising!!

Doooo it karnt!! :P

But seriously, 168hp from a V8? Wow... :confused:
RM_Photography

RM_Photography!

MTQ Engine Systems

-Lets eat Grandma
-Let's eat, Grandma!

2LV8ETR

2LV8ETR

Grampa Spec Cockhead

• Vice President
  • 3017 posts
  • LocationArmadale WA
For that price, you'd be better off dropping an LS1 in it as you can get the whole kit and caboodle for $3K.

Fuck that cost for so little gain.

Posted Image

V8EATER

V8EATER

• President
  • 2551 posts
The thing that put me off was that it goes from 4brl to 2brl which would govin it. That in my theory is no good. The other thing i was put off by was that if it fucks up, your stuck on the side of the road compared to the good old carby were it can be fixed.

I dont think i will proceed in getting it. I also believe that this engine isn't stock and it has been done up for gas which means it would have higher compression than a normal stock engine. I was was reading up on the TBI EFI kit and they say that if the engine isn't stock, you may have problems getting it tuned right. Bugger that. I will stick to the basics i think and go with the a new 600cfm Holley. Go back to my original idea.

Posted Image