Socrates

Socrates

Bugatti Veyron Super Sport

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 900 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia
  • Car(s):1978 C210 Nissan Skyline 2400GT
  • Bike(s):2004 "30 years of BMX" Mongoose Mischief
i'm assuming compressor wheel is on the intake side ?

Hanaldo

Hanaldo

Resident WCC Aerosol Spray Painter

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 1902 posts
  • Car(s):R34 GT Skyline with GTT engine
Spot on :thumbsup:

Tiddy

Tiddy

• Paid Member
  • 233 posts
  • Car(s):my98 WRX
my turbo, both wheels are titanium :)
98 STi Twinscrollin
EJ20 inside

2LV8ETR

2LV8ETR

Grampa Spec Cockhead

• Vice President
  • 3017 posts
  • LocationArmadale WA
  • Car(s):RB30DET R32 Gts-t Sedan, Hilux SSR-G Surf 4x4
  • Bike(s):Hyosung GT250-R, My wife...

Nylon wheel is the compressor wheel, turbine is ceramic.

No shit, really?
Try putting nylon under pressure. It'll fracture and send the pieces into the intake. Ceramic will take a lot of shit, especially heat, but because it's on the turbine side, it'll spin off into the cat causing no damage. But with a nylon compressor, it'll let go before the ceramic turbine.
Do a search if you want to doubt it, which you always seem do a lot of. The nylon wheel was the most stupidest thing brought out onto a turbo. Yes, it'll spool up a few milliseconds quicker than a ceramic, but at least they can handle punishment, unlike nylon. I've read of many cases of ceramics taking massive amounts of abuse, buy nylon seems to want to curl up into a ball and die.
You should heed advice, not doubt and question every word on this site. Push the cunt, I dare you.

Posted Image

Char

Char

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 766 posts
  • Car(s):R32 ca18de conversion

We pushed my mates stock RB20 turbo to 32psi and it didn't blow.

the only thing u pushed was the crack pipe

Hanaldo

Hanaldo

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 1902 posts

No shit, really?
Try putting nylon under pressure. It'll fracture and send the pieces into the intake. Ceramic will take a lot of shit, especially heat, but because it's on the turbine side, it'll spin off into the cat causing no damage. But with a nylon compressor, it'll let go before the ceramic turbine.
Do a search if you want to doubt it, which you always seem do a lot of. The nylon wheel was the most stupidest thing brought out onto a turbo. Yes, it'll spool up a few milliseconds quicker than a ceramic, but at least they can handle punishment, unlike nylon. I've read of many cases of ceramics taking massive amounts of abuse, buy nylon seems to want to curl up into a ball and die.
You should heed advice, not doubt and question every word on this site. Push the cunt, I dare you.

Wtf I wasnt doubting it lol, I have been agreeing with you the whole time... Your previous comment just seemed redundant because the ceramic is the turbine, I thought you MAY have been suggesting that the compressor wheel was ceramic.

Relax dude, you seem to take a lot of things to heart. But while you think I'm arguing, searches have shown me that it is very rare for the compressor wheel to give trouble, it is usually the ceramic turbine that blows first. NOT to say the compressor wheel DOESN'T give trouble, just sayin what the search has shown me...

Sources:
http://www.boostcrui...topic=44405&hl=
http://www.boostcrui...showtopic=56771
http://www.skylinesa...B20 turbo wheel
http://www.skylinesa...rbo differences
http://www.skylinesa...tock RB25 turbo
http://www.skylinesa...tock RB25 turbo

Now if this were a uni assignment I would get chastised for not using any academic resources, but it is very hard to find any professors writing about stock RB turbos!

the only thing u pushed was the crack pipe

That doesn't even make sense... but seriously. This was when I thought there was a certain magical number that if you went over it the turbo would just pop instantly. My mate wanted to show me that there wasn't, so he turned his ebc up to 95% which IIRC was 32psi. Took it for one run, didn't pop, turned it back down to 14psi.

Mind you I hardly knew the difference between an R32 and an R33 back then, so I could be mistaken... But I'm fairly sure that's what he did.

2LV8ETR

2LV8ETR

Grampa Spec Cockhead

• Vice President
  • 3017 posts
  • LocationArmadale WA
Think again about what I said.

Nylon has a high chance of shitting after 14 psi = debris into combustion chamber = fucked engine.

Ceramic will take more shit, though if it lets go = debris in exhaust system = saved engine.

It's a no-brainer.

Posted Image

Nic_A31

Nic_A31

• Paid Member
  • 280 posts
  • LocationSwan View
  • Car(s):Nissan Cefiro A31 ( x2 )
Nothing on SAU or BoostCruising is valid.
You know what ceramic is yes? and how it's made?

Nylon....most certainly not stronger. There's no way the ceramic wheel will give up before the nylon wheel.

V8EATER

V8EATER

The fearless leader thats born to cruise...

• President
  • 2551 posts
  • LocationMiles in front of you....
  • Car(s):R32 GTS4 4 Door with RB26DETT, R32 GTS-T Coupe Drift Pig, HJ Prem Wgn, 1947 Holden Pontiac Silver Streak
  • Bike(s):None. Stick em up your ass! Im jinxed riding them.
Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!

Posted Image
Go Hard Or Fuck Off Home. Kick Ass, Take No Prisoners!!!

All donations to West Coast Cruisers is very much appreciated

Tiddy

Tiddy

• Paid Member
  • 233 posts
I work with ceramic, damn its tuff shit!!
98 STi Twinscrollin
EJ20 inside

Nic_A31

Nic_A31

• Paid Member
  • 280 posts
  • LocationSwan View
  • Car(s):Nissan Cefiro A31 ( x2 )
Steel Wheel for the motherfuckin' win

Hanaldo

Hanaldo

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 1902 posts
But the compressor wheel and the turbine are not under the same conditions, the turbine is operating at ~1000 degrees. Even Stao from Hyperdrive has told me that it is my ceramic exhaust wheel that is going to fail first, the nylon wheel just isn't under that much stress... But ok haha, I surrender, ceramic is awesome!! I don't even know why we are arguing lol, I agree with you about nylon being shitty, I'm just saying ceramic is shit too!

On a brighter note, I now have a working turbo timer :D Turns out the one I was using was a cheap rip off, I bought a genuine straight from Apexi and it is much different and now works perfectly.

I also received my hose for my catch can today, so I will get round to installing that before Sunday... Except Tyson has all my tools the fucker <_<

Hanaldo

Hanaldo

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 1902 posts
Also trying to track down some 6.5" Alpine Type R components to replace my rear speakers... 3rd set of speakers I have replaced from being overpowered by the amp, decided this time I better get some high quality ones. If anyone sees some please let me know :)

Socrates

Socrates

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 900 posts
Alberts is Alpine dealer in WA

also JBHIFI had them i'm pretty sure cause i was looking into them for my car.

Hanaldo

Hanaldo

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 1902 posts
Yeh not buying from a store, they still want like $300 for them. They are older technology, only worth $150 max.

Socrates

Socrates

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 900 posts
Yeah that's about the price they said to me as well

Ten Four

Ten Four

Loved on Antilag

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 1559 posts
  • LocationWembley
  • Car(s):Changing
eBay then?

2LV8ETR

2LV8ETR

Grampa Spec Cockhead

• Vice President
  • 3017 posts
  • LocationArmadale WA

But the compressor wheel and the turbine are not under the same conditions, the turbine is operating at ~1000 degrees. Even Stao from Hyperdrive has told me that it is my ceramic exhaust wheel that is going to fail first, the nylon wheel just isn't under that much stress... But ok haha, I surrender, ceramic is awesome!! I don't even know why we are arguing lol, I agree with you about nylon being shitty, I'm just saying ceramic is shit too!

The main argument is where the pieces end up when there's a failure. And to give you an idea about how much heat ceramics can handle, guess what material foundries use for their crucibles? Yup, ceramic. It has a higher melt point than steel.
Even if I were concede that ceramic is as useless as nylon, I won't agree to the damage comparison of inlet vs exhaust failure.

Posted Image

Hanaldo

Hanaldo

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 1902 posts
Oh yeh definitely mate, no argument from me there. Without a doubt if your turbo is going to shit a wheel you want it to be the turbine.

Socs what price did they give you?

Tiddy

Tiddy

• Paid Member
  • 233 posts
Can pick up focals for a grand ;)
Where did u get your catch can hose?
98 STi Twinscrollin
EJ20 inside