Toopretty4jail

Toopretty4jail

Holden Commodore

• Guest Member
  • 56 posts
  • Car(s):R32 GTST
  • Bike(s):Honda CBR 929 Fireblade
hey everyone,

I want to put in a rb25 into my r32, just wondering how to go about it, im new to the jap scene and was wondering what are the need to knows when pulling off the conversion.

cheers

2LV8ETR

2LV8ETR

Grampa Spec Cockhead

• Vice President
  • 3017 posts
  • LocationArmadale WA
  • Car(s):RB30DET R32 Gts-t Sedan, Hilux SSR-G Surf 4x4
  • Bike(s):Hyosung GT250-R, My wife...

hey everyone,

I want to put in a rb25 into my r32, just wondering how to go about it, im new to the jap scene and was wondering what are the need to knows when pulling off the conversion.

cheers

RB25DET engine (of course), ECU and wiring loom. You'll need all of the ancillaries such as AFM's, etc. that go with the 25.
You can use the RB20DET gearbox, but depending on how you drive you may lunch it in a short time.
If you use the 25DET gearbox, you'll need to convert the speed sensor to cable as the 25 uses an electronic pulse sensor.

The 25DET wiring loom will need to be spliced into the existing 20DET loom so unless you're competent with electrical, you'll need an auto sparky and they don't come cheap.

I won't give you an estimate on what it will cost you because Martin will no doubt tell you otherwise :bootyshake:

Posted Image

NA_Goodness

NA_Goodness

Resident Photographer

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 3414 posts
  • LocationUnder The Bonnet, Behind The Camera
  • Car(s):1x Giant Fridge, 1x Smaller Freezer
  • Bike(s):Hopefully before January
Well, you can keep the standard gearbox to save money, but they arent as tough as the RB25, so it is a worthy upgrade.
Also, like I said to Martin, replace every hose and clamp on the engine. So all the coolant hoses, fuel hoses, air/boost hoses. Trust me, they're simple to remove when the engine is out, but a cunt when its in.
Same with all your gaskets. Intake manifold, exhaust manifold, in fact all your exhaust gaskets, coolant gaskets, even head gasket. Again, simple when its all out anyway.

I'm waaaay too tired to go into it further, sorry mate. Have a look at the first few pages of Martin's build thread. I put a whole lot of info in there for him.

As for cost, it'll cost roughly the same as what Martin paid for his.

Good luck mate, I might give some more info when I can be bothered. Sorry dude.
RM_Photography
RM_Photography on Facebook

RM_Photography!

Resident supplier of Garret, Sonic Performance, Turbosmart and all Bosch products.
MTQ Engine Systems

Practicality is an unfamiliar concept...

PUNCTUATION SAVES LIVES!!
-Lets eat Grandma
-Let's eat, Grandma!

Hanaldo

Hanaldo

Resident WCC Aerosol Spray Painter

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 1902 posts
  • Car(s):R34 GT Skyline with GTT engine

I won't give you an estimate on what it will cost you because Martin will no doubt tell you otherwise :bootyshake:

:P

Tom was flirting with the idea of doing this installation ourselves, possibly as you suggested doing Rhys, with some help from anyone on here that would like to help out.

NA_Goodness

NA_Goodness

Resident Photographer

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 3414 posts
Yeah man, definately do it yourself. Great fun, and well, well worth it! Plus you'll appreciate it even more. That, and its a fuck load cheaper :P
RM_Photography

RM_Photography!

Resident supplier of Garret, Sonic Performance, Turbosmart and all Bosch products.
MTQ Engine Systems

-Lets eat Grandma
-Let's eat, Grandma!

Hanaldo

Hanaldo

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 1902 posts
There you go Tom, start saving :)

Just as a matter of interest, how does RB20 FMIC piping compare to RB25 FMIC piping? If Tom bought an intercooler to suit the RB20, would it be transferable to the RB25?

NA_Goodness

NA_Goodness

Resident Photographer

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 3414 posts
Yeah man, same shit. Or just get a forward facing plenum and some custom (not chinese) piping :D
RM_Photography

RM_Photography!

MTQ Engine Systems

-Lets eat Grandma
-Let's eat, Grandma!

2LV8ETR

2LV8ETR

Grampa Spec Cockhead

• Vice President
  • 3017 posts
  • LocationArmadale WA

Tom was flirting with the idea of doing this installation ourselves, possibly as you suggested doing Rhys, with some help from anyone on here that would like to help out.

Dropping the engine and gearbox is a piece of piss.

Like I said, the hard part would be the wiring.

If you're up for doing shit yourself, why didn't you just go ahead and do the DET conversion yourself Martin? It would have saved you a FUCKLOAD.

Posted Image

Hanaldo

Hanaldo

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 1902 posts

Dropping the engine and gearbox is a piece of piss.

Like I said, the hard part would be the wiring.

If you're up for doing shit yourself, why didn't you just go ahead and do the DET conversion yourself Martin? It would have saved you a FUCKLOAD.

Oh yeh no doubt, it was a consideration of mine, in fact i would have loved to do it myself. But i wanted to think of resale. I have absolutely no plans to sell my car, but if something happens and i do need to sell it, then i want to be able to say that a reputable workshop did the conversion, not that it was done in my backyard. That and the fact that my car is my daily, i need it to be working asap. Tom's car it doesn't matter if it takes 2 days or 2 months for us to get working, he has another car he can get around in.

2LV8ETR

2LV8ETR

Grampa Spec Cockhead

• Vice President
  • 3017 posts
  • LocationArmadale WA
My guestimation is that your car has been off the road for a month now?

Factor in the time for the half cut to land, customs, the workshop doing it's job and whatever else comes up, you would have waited about 3 months?

The fact that a workshop did the conversion counts for little. In a few years time, if some peanut was worried that a conversion was done many years ago by you and a few mates in your backyard he could fuck off and buy something else. The car would have been working fine for that period without issues which would prove it was a solid conversion. There is always someone willing to purchase a car like that.

One car I did many years ago I converted from a 6 to a V8, and I had many requests for purchase regardless of the fact that I did the work myself in my own backyard.
With my current R32 which was 100% stock when I bought it, I've had a few people ask me if I wanted to sell it even though I did 100% of the work. One guy even wanted to swap his late model Skyline with me after it kept up with a 600hp R33.

Hardly any Skyline these days has 100% workshop labour performed on it. As long as the work is solid, there's no issues.

Only a dick would take that into consideration as a reason to bump a resale price down.

Posted Image

NA_Goodness

NA_Goodness

Resident Photographer

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 3414 posts
Agreed. Sometimes, Allen is right! And the few times he isn't... Well they don't exsist. Allen is always right.
RM_Photography

RM_Photography!

MTQ Engine Systems

-Lets eat Grandma
-Let's eat, Grandma!

Hanaldo

Hanaldo

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 1902 posts

My guestimation is that your car has been off the road for a month now?

Factor in the time for the half cut to land, customs, the workshop doing it's job and whatever else comes up, you would have waited about 3 months?

The fact that a workshop did the conversion counts for little. In a few years time, if some peanut was worried that a conversion was done many years ago by you and a few mates in your backyard he could fuck off and buy something else. The car would have been working fine for that period without issues which would prove it was a solid conversion. There is always someone willing to purchase a car like that.

One car I did many years ago I converted from a 6 to a V8, and I had many requests for purchase regardless of the fact that I did the work myself in my own backyard.
With my current R32 which was 100% stock when I bought it, I've had a few people ask me if I wanted to sell it even though I did 100% of the work. One guy even wanted to swap his late model Skyline with me after it kept up with a 600hp R33.

Hardly any Skyline these days has 100% workshop labour performed on it. As long as the work is solid, there's no issues.

Only a dick would take that into consideration as a reason to bump a resale price down.

Yeh probably accurate, i just felt more comfortable paying for the labour rather than doing it myself. Especially considering KYP are offering me a warranty on the work. So far all the waiting has been on the half cut, so whether i did it myself or got KYP to do it, the waiting would be the same. But i have absolutely no doubt that KYP would be able to do it quicker than me, and a better job of it. Considering it is my daily, i'm happy to pay for that peace of mind.

Toopretty4jail

Toopretty4jail

Holden Commodore

• Guest Member
  • 56 posts
  • Car(s):R32 GTST
  • Bike(s):Honda CBR 929 Fireblade
haha ok this went off topic a little bit,

Im hell keen to do alot of the work myself, being a first year mechanic im really keen to learn.
now all i gotta do is save and start looking for a good motor and take it from there aye?

2LV8ETR

2LV8ETR

Grampa Spec Cockhead

• Vice President
  • 3017 posts
  • LocationArmadale WA
No such thing as off topic on WCC, you'll soon realise that and appreciate it.

Start saving them bikkies!!!

Posted Image

NA_Goodness

NA_Goodness

Resident Photographer

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 3414 posts
Lol, it goes VEERRY off topic often here at WCC :P
Where are you doing your apprentiship, mate? I'm a 3rd year mechanic and can't afford this shit :confused:

Lol
RM_Photography

RM_Photography!

MTQ Engine Systems

-Lets eat Grandma
-Let's eat, Grandma!

Hanaldo

Hanaldo

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 1902 posts

Lol, it goes VEERRY off topic often here at WCC :P
Where are you doing your apprentiship, mate? I'm a 3rd year mechanic and can't afford this shit :confused:

Lol

He is a heavy duty plant mechanic for Western Power, earning WAAAAYYYY too much money lol. Government jobs are where it's at :P

NA_Goodness

NA_Goodness

Resident Photographer

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 3414 posts
Prick :P

Fuck Mazda, get me in on that shit! Lol
RM_Photography

RM_Photography!

MTQ Engine Systems

-Lets eat Grandma
-Let's eat, Grandma!

Hanaldo

Hanaldo

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 1902 posts
Lol it's ridiculous. I won't tell you how much he earns, but he can pay off the $15000 loan he just got out in 10 months and still have PLENTY of money to play with himself. Lucky fuck lol

NA_Goodness

NA_Goodness

Resident Photographer

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 3414 posts
YOU FUCKEN SERIOUS????? GET ME IN ON THAT SHIT!!!!!!
RM_Photography

RM_Photography!

MTQ Engine Systems

-Lets eat Grandma
-Let's eat, Grandma!

Hanaldo

Hanaldo

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 1902 posts
Tom if you ever check this thread again lol, i found this: http://justskylines....conversion.aspx