Photo

Upgrade Ze turbos, should I drp the ca$h?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio

Bugatti Veyron Super Sport

• Moderator - Paid Member -Donator
  • 1302 posts
[Sorry if this is in the worng section, feel free to move it]

So my mate own currently the fastest/most powerful Legnum VR-4 in Australia in which he has done a turbo upgrade. He is now selling his car to buy a Supra so that he can chase a little bit more power with a little bit more reliability. He wants a daily that will run 12's, fair enough!

He then sent me a message offering me the first crack at his turbo kit which he is removing and returning to stock before he sells it. He is asking $3,900 an absolute steal knowing what sort of money he dropped into his car and all the R&D he did to find a good package. The package is as follows...

Kit includes:

2 x KKR 280 turbos
Manifold adaptor plates
Custom oil and water lines
PWR intercooler plus all custom turbo piping, dump pipes, oil filter relocation kit
Air filter with custom piping
Sard 650cc injectors
A few heat shields

Price: $3900

What you will need to make it work:

A fire wall massage
Slight clipping of radiator fan casing
Patience
Aftermarket ecu or flashable 7202 chipset for tuning

Fuckin' sweet bro! He is currently making 260 - 280 awkw and he says the set-up is good for around about 300 awkw. This is my aim, that power is what I will be thrilled with!

Here is the problem. I currently have ~$6,000 in the bank. I also still need to pay for the rest of my vehicles compliance, rego and insurance. I have no idea what rego will cost but I think I need to drop $2000 to cover compliance. He said I can pay the full amount in a few weeks but needs a deposit this w/e if I wanna do it. In a few weeks I should have the funds to cover it all but that will also mean zilcho in the bank. I could also get a bit more on my loan but I don't really wanna do that.

I also have a FMIC kit here already so I can either sell that or the new one to re-coup some money.

Financially I know its not a smart move but later down the track when I wanna slap bigger hairdryers to it how much will that cost me???

Option A: Pay off rego and compliance. Only get 3rd party insurance and drop my money on the turbo package. Have it for about a month while I save cash then go and chuck it in.

Option B: Pay off rego and compliance. Get either full comp or 3rd party insurance. Drop money on a custom exhaust and take a bit off my loan.

What words of wisdon does WCC have for me?

Hanaldo

Hanaldo

Resident WCC Aerosol Spray Painter

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 1902 posts
  • Car(s):R34 GT Skyline with GTT engine
KKR... hmmm... not a fan of Chinese stuff, especially turbos. Each to their own though, and if your mate has been running them without problems then they might be good, i wouldn't know.

I say go for it, money in the bank is as good as no money at all, spend it and flaunt it :D

2LV8ETR

2LV8ETR

Grampa Spec Cockhead

• Vice President
  • 3017 posts
  • LocationArmadale WA
  • Car(s):RB30DET R32 Gts-t Sedan, Hilux SSR-G Surf 4x4
  • Bike(s):Hyosung GT250-R, My wife...
The KKR's have a good rep for the money that you pay for them. Many are running them with excellent results and I wouldn't shy away from them. One thing I read in a mag about the KKR's is that the number following is the hp rating for the turbo. Twin 280's will get you what you want.
Financially the call is yours. You need to weigh the sacrifice with the end gain, then evaluate whether the gain of the turbo kit justifies the sacrifice you need to make elsewhere. Also bear in mind the costs of the other components and tuning further down the track.
Me, I would wait and go with option (a) and not skimp on the insurance.

Posted Image

NA_Goodness

NA_Goodness

Resident Photographer

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 3414 posts
  • LocationUnder The Bonnet, Behind The Camera
  • Car(s):1x Giant Fridge, 1x Smaller Freezer
  • Bike(s):Hopefully before January
You know what I'm like with money, and how savings are very important, yada yada yada. If it was a Skyline or something similar, then I'd say wait and buy your own package, but something as unique as this... I'm gonna have to say do it! Just get the 3rd party for now, then spend big and get full cover in a month of two. Just dont crash the car in the meantime!

Remember, you dont NEED to install the kit straight away. Keep it and save some dosh, then when youre finantially ready, throw the turbos, cooler, computer, injectors, ect ect in! Bobs your uncle, Fanny's your aunt, your faster then me, fuck you :P
RM_Photography
RM_Photography on Facebook

RM_Photography!

Resident supplier of Garret, Sonic Performance, Turbosmart and all Bosch products.
MTQ Engine Systems

Practicality is an unfamiliar concept...

PUNCTUATION SAVES LIVES!!
-Lets eat Grandma
-Let's eat, Grandma!

Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio

Bugatti Veyron Super Sport

• Moderator - Paid Member -Donator
  • 1302 posts
Well I made a decision. There is a reason people listen to Allen, he usually knows what he's on about.

I turned down the turbos this morning. Better to pay for my imaediate car needs (Rego, Insurance, Zaust) and then pay money off my loan. Turbos will come later if this car turns out to be a keeper. I'll see how she goes up to ~200 awkw after then maybe I will want twin TD-04s?? Who knows how long I will have the car and I think its better to have savings/less debt then a box full of stuff sitting in my garage. They are just paperweights until correctly installed with supporting mods.

Sensible Lachlan.