723 replies to this topic

Hanaldo

Hanaldo

Resident WCC Aerosol Spray Painter

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 1902 posts
  • Car(s):R34 GT Skyline with GTT engine
Hey guys,

As some of you know, and thanks to those who have helped me with this, i have recently decided to perform an engine/gearbox swap with my car. I thought i would post a thread detailing my experiences and what is happening with the car, mostly because i wish more people had done this so i could read about their experiences. It is a very straight forward conversion, which is why i think there are not very many detailed threads around. But ill put this one up, and hopefully someone finds it useful :)

Im currently in the very first stages of planning, and this thread could take awhile depending on my job situation :( But right now my plans are to swap out my RB25DE engine and RB20DET box, and replace them with the stock GTT equivalents, RB25DET Neo engine and RB25DET gearbox. So i will basically have a stock GTT initially.

As it stands, my car currently has R33 GTS-T brakes, with DBA 4000 slotted rotors on the front and soon to be DBA slotted and cross drilled rotors on the back. I am also using DBA Green Stuff pads. So the car stops very well i must say, although i am looking at 6-pot Brembo's for the future.

Suspension is also turbo model items, i believe off of an R33 GTS-T although im not 100% sure. All i know for sure is that 34 GTT suspension doesn't fit 34 GT's, so my suspension is off one of the other models. This aspect of my car will be upgraded to Tein Super Street after the engine swap. My current suspension is more than good enough for the RB25DET, but it is the next item on my priority list.

Anyway, that is where my car is at, RB25DE, RB20DET gearbox, GTS-T brakes and aftermarket rotors, turbo model suspension. So next thing for me is to go and have a chat to Ben at KYP, see what he thinks my best options are. I will update again in the near future when there is something to update :)

NA_Goodness

NA_Goodness

Resident Photographer

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 3414 posts
  • LocationUnder The Bonnet, Behind The Camera
  • Car(s):1x Giant Fridge, 1x Smaller Freezer
  • Bike(s):Hopefully before January
*Alcohol influenced post*

Ok. The most important thing here is RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH!!! you seem to have a fairly good idea, but there is always more to learn!
I love a good build thread, so I'll be watching this like a hawk! However... As a lot of you know (and you can tell from my User Name) I used to own a naturally aspirated R33, which I wanted to turbo charge. After doing a lot of research, it worked out to be a HELL of a lot cheaper to sell and buy a GTSt, or in your case GTT. My 33 cost $14k, had 300hp, jap-spec coilovers, and plenty of other little features. Even if I was just upgrading the engine, brakes and suspension, I would have spend over $18k, and the car wouldn't have been nearly as good as what mine is now. Everything will be upgraded, but I was so over my NA, where as i've had my GTSt for 10 or so months and I love it so much.
My point is, a GTT is a better starting point, especially for someone in your finantial situation. That's my educated opinion, yours might be slightly different. :)
RM_Photography
RM_Photography on Facebook

RM_Photography!

Resident supplier of Garret, Sonic Performance, Turbosmart and all Bosch products.
MTQ Engine Systems

Practicality is an unfamiliar concept...

PUNCTUATION SAVES LIVES!!
-Lets eat Grandma
-Let's eat, Grandma!

Hanaldo

Hanaldo

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 1902 posts
Glad someone posted, i love a good discussion :) *Also alcohol influenced*

Basically i consider my car currently better than a stock GTT save for the engine and gearbox. I have full Top Secret body kit worth $3000 (the only body kit i would own on a 34), G-Max Enigma wheels which, while not my first choice of wheels, are very good looking and worth $2500. GTS-T brakes which are as good as GTT brakes but i have slotted rotors, braided brake lines, and very good pads. So brakes are better than stock GTT. Suspension is not as good as GTT suspension, but i would replace the stock GTT suspension with Tein Super Street anyway, so would be spending the exact same amount of money there. I have 34 GTR spoiler which i would get on the GTT as well, worth a fair bit of money. The interior in my car i have customized to suit me, would have to spend about $600 to get it right again on the GTT (will be buying 34 GTR replica seats for the GT, would do the same for the GTT). I absolutely love the colour of my car, would have to get a GTT the same colour. Sound system in my car is worth $3000.

So if i consider that a good condition stock, manual, GTT would cost me about 18-21K right? I bought my car for 16k. Factor in a bit of loss in value, means i could probably sell my car for about 13-14K. Take into account the money im saving for the engine swap, 6K, that gives me about 19-20K. So i could just afford a stock GTT and that isn't even taking in to account on road costs, which would be probably about $3000 including insurance, stamp duty, transfer fees, etc. And then all i have is a stock GTT which the only thing i like about it is the engine and gearbox. I would be wanting to spend $3000 on the Top Secret body kit, probably about $3000 on wheels depending on what comes with the car, $600 for the interior, ~$3000 for the sound system again depending on what comes with the car, $500 for the rotors and brake pads, ~$300 for braided brake lines... Plus some other stuff im sure ive forgotten.

By my counts, that puts me about 11K out... So cheaper to do the engine swap :) Basically what im saying is, my car is exactly what i want, it is exactly how i like it. Except for the engine and gearbox. So for me it seems better to replace the engine and gearbox and fix that problem, rather than start again from scratch with the engine and gearbox and try to build the car around it.

Can you see where im coming from with that?

karbie

karbie

Bugatti Veyron Super Sport

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 592 posts
  • LocationSOR
  • Car(s):R34 GT-T Skyline
Why didnt you just continue on your other thread?
Why Drink and Drive when you can Drift and Slide.....

karbie

karbie

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 592 posts
  • LocationSOR
we can see where your coming from BTW and I definetely think the engine swap is the best idea as we had discussed at the cruise coz you get the better gearbox and you also will get a turbo motor with alot less Km's on it than your current motor has

Hanaldo

Hanaldo

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 1902 posts
Cos this will be the build thread, the other thread i was asking what i should do with it. I thought that thread had run it's course... But if you find anything you think i should check out please post it in that thread, will keep this one cleaner. I wanted to make this thread for when this club is as big as SAUWA and Antilag, there might be someone out there who wants to do the same thing. I can find fuck all detailed threads about this conversion, so i wanted to make my own in case it helps some one out :)

And spot on about the new engine and gearbox Isaac. I'd quite like a 34 half cut because then i also get the dash cluster that shows how many kms the engine has... Otherwise i have an engine with xxxxxkms and a dash that shows 160xxxkms :confused:

NA_Goodness

NA_Goodness

Resident Photographer

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 3414 posts
Crap. I spent an hour typing out a reply, then when I tried to post it, my comp fucked up :( DAMMIT!! I'll write it all out again tomorrow when I can be bothered.
RM_Photography

RM_Photography!

Resident supplier of Garret, Sonic Performance, Turbosmart and all Bosch products.
MTQ Engine Systems

-Lets eat Grandma
-Let's eat, Grandma!

karbie

karbie

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 592 posts
  • LocationSOR

Cos this will be the build thread, the other thread i was asking what i should do with it. I thought that thread had run it's course... But if you find anything you think i should check out please post it in that thread, will keep this one cleaner. I wanted to make this thread for when this club is as big as SAUWA and Antilag, there might be someone out there who wants to do the same thing. I can find fuck all detailed threads about this conversion, so i wanted to make my own in case it helps some one out :)

And spot on about the new engine and gearbox Isaac. I'd quite like a 34 half cut because then i also get the dash cluster that shows how many kms the engine has... Otherwise i have an engine with xxxxxkms and a dash that shows 160xxxkms :confused:

Fair enough, It will be interesting to watch this conversion happen

V8EATER

V8EATER

The fearless leader thats born to cruise...

• President
  • 2551 posts
  • LocationMiles in front of you....
  • Car(s):R32 GTS4 4 Door with RB26DETT, R32 GTS-T Coupe Drift Pig, HJ Prem Wgn, 1947 Holden Pontiac Silver Streak
  • Bike(s):None. Stick em up your ass! Im jinxed riding them.

Crap. I spent an hour typing out a reply, then when I tried to post it, my comp fucked up :( DAMMIT!! I'll write it all out again tomorrow when I can be bothered.

BAHAHAHA Welcome to my world. Fucking computers....

"If you want to smash your computer, smash your computer, smash your computer..."

Just give it the five knuckel job.

Posted Image
Go Hard Or Fuck Off Home. Kick Ass, Take No Prisoners!!!

All donations to West Coast Cruisers is very much appreciated

Hanaldo

Hanaldo

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 1902 posts
Ok so i just got back from KYP and talking to Ben. Basically i need 7k to cover the conversion. I currently have about $3500, so im about half way.

He broke it down for me like this:

I can use an R33 GTS-T engine for the conversion, and can safely build to 350hp on stock internals. BUT... that will reduce the value of my car because it is an R33 engine. So i don't want to do that, R33 engine idea is out the window.

So it needs to be an R34 GTT engine. This will increase the value of my car, but is about 20% more risky to build to 350hp on stock internals. I could get the engine and gearbox for about $3500. Then i need fuel pump, radiator, intercooler kit, boost controller, clutch kit, and some custom alterations to the drive-shaft, diff (ratio of GT diff is different to that of a GTT diff) and wiring loom. This is a very hard way of doing it, so labour will be expensive. 7k might cover this if everything goes to plan.

But the best and easiest way of doing it, and this is the option i am going with, is with an R34 GTT half-cut. 4K will cover the half cut. This would include the GTT diff, drive-shaft, gearbox, engine, clutch, plus any other bits and pieces that i may need. It will also have the dash cluster so i can swap that over too. This will be a lot easier a conversion for Ben to do, as he will already have all the bits and pieces and can just swap them over straight over. It is also a better option because i will be using the GTT bits instead of modifying the GT bits, which im not so keen on. Ben thinks 7K will cover this option easily, all i have left to buy is the front mount intercooler kit, fuel pump, radiator and boost controller.

So the next step is to put a $500 deposit down on a half-cut, Ben thinks the next shipment should be arriving in March. I have to check to see what i should do, as i can afford to put a deposit down straight away and get the half cut, but im still about 3.5K away from getting it all carried out, so he might tell me to wait on the deposit. In the mean time, i will be trying to find a good FMIC kit, fuel pump, radiator and boost controller.

This is starting to happen, im very very excited :)

NA_Goodness

NA_Goodness

Resident Photographer

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 3414 posts
The half-cut wont include the diff or driveshaft, obviously being the FRONT half of the car.
Also, you cant put a 33 engine in the car and still insure it. The engine needs to be NEWER then the car it goes in.
The drift cars at Barbagallo run 400+hp on unopened engines, driven hard everytime they go out, bouncing off the limiter, and last 3 or 4 seasons. So they're pretty strong.

I want to reright that post, but cant be farked atm. I'll try and do it later on tonight.
RM_Photography

RM_Photography!

MTQ Engine Systems

-Lets eat Grandma
-Let's eat, Grandma!

Hanaldo

Hanaldo

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 1902 posts
That's ok because i don't want a R33 engine anyway :)

I was wondering about the diff and drive shaft as well, but that's what Ben said.

NA_Goodness

NA_Goodness

Resident Photographer

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 3414 posts
Yeah... Righteo then! Lol. Keep your diff, just chuck a Nismo or Cusco 2-way center in it. Unless the axles are different (doubt it).
RM_Photography

RM_Photography!

MTQ Engine Systems

-Lets eat Grandma
-Let's eat, Grandma!

Hanaldo

Hanaldo

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 1902 posts
Haha yeh i dunno. Will double check with Ben what he meant... But i've seen diff's going for fairly cheap so ill see what happens

NA_Goodness

NA_Goodness

Resident Photographer

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 3414 posts
Standard diffs aren't expensive, but they're pretty dodgy and crappy. Although you can reshim them to make it tighter.
RM_Photography

RM_Photography!

MTQ Engine Systems

-Lets eat Grandma
-Let's eat, Grandma!

Hanaldo

Hanaldo

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 1902 posts
Well i've emailed KYP asking what needs to be done with the diff and drive shaft.

I am about to buy all the parts i need to supply: Greddy PRofec B-Spec II boost controller ($400), Apexi "pen" turbo timer ($65), FMIC kit ($450), alloy radiator ($330), Walbro 550hp intank fuel pump ($175), and new Apexi pod filter ($100).

The pod filter and turbo timer are not really necessary, I just want them. I already have an Apexi pod but by the time this gets done it will need replacing. Turbo timer obviously to take care of the turbo from the start.

There is also discussion that i may need a new clutch. When i bought the car it was advertised as having a heavy duty clutch, but to be honest i know nothing about it. So i have no idea what type it is, whether it will be good enough to handle the power... Only thing i really know is that it does feel quite heavy, a little bit heavier than stock R33 GTR clutch. But seeing as i can't compare it to a stock GT or GTT clutch, i have no idea if it is good enough. Rhys do you know if there is a way i can find out what sort of clutch it is and if it will suffice?

karbie

karbie

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 592 posts
  • LocationSOR
If your going to get a new clutch get a Exedy Heavy Duty Sports Tuff Clutch. They retail at $1200 but they're good and can handle modifications if you decide to them

Ten Four

Ten Four

Loved on Antilag

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 1559 posts
  • LocationWembley
  • Car(s):Changing
Apexi Pod filter. If you have one already, just take it out and clean it. You don't need to replace it. The ones on my 33 GTR were olddddd. Also, stock 33 gtr clutch was light as so you cant really compare lol.

Hanaldo

Hanaldo

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 1902 posts
I need to find out what sort of clutch i have, because i don't wanna pay $1200 for a new clutch that might be the same one i already have...

And i would rather replace my pod filter, it is only $100 for a new one and my current one has a binding bolt. Would need to get it cut off and put on the new engine and then it will only be held in place by 3 bolts.

And i know the 33 GTR clutch was light, but i also imagine it would be stronger than 34 GTT clutch. So if mine feels heavier... I know it is a bad basis to go on, but it is the only comparison i have lol

Hanaldo

Hanaldo

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 1902 posts
Ok, just worked out this is going to cost around 8k... And that is if i don't need a clutch. Little more expensive than i was thinking, but that's cars for you. I didn't want to go cheap with anything either, so i bought all top quality brands