Photo

Project VH41dett to R32 Skyline Race Car

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

V8EATER

V8EATER

The fearless leader thats born to cruise...

• President
  • 2551 posts
  • LocationMiles in front of you....
  • Car(s):R32 GTS4 4 Door with RB26DETT, R32 GTS-T Coupe Drift Pig, HJ Prem Wgn, 1947 Holden Pontiac Silver Streak
  • Bike(s):None. Stick em up your ass! Im jinxed riding them.
Hi Cruisers,

I thought that i might start a new topic and share my fun with a little project that i have planned in mind for my race car.

I currently have a R32 GTS-T skyline Coupe. The car was bought last year from ex east and was originally used for drifting over east. The car is a unlic vehicle and it cannot be licensed here in Australia.

My plan is to use a VH41DE engine from a front cut that i have from a Nissan Cima, Twin turboing it, make a custom bell housing adapter to go to a RB25 box and then put it into my R32 Race car.

When i got the car, all interior, engine bay items and boot items got stripped out of the car straight away to make it lighter. Currently it has a RB20DET engine but that is about to be removed this weekend to make way for the VH41. I have nearly completed mounting a race seat into the car and i have used stainless steel sheeting to cover the inside of the doors. It looks very nice. :) The battery has also been relocated to inside the car with a isolator switch controlling all power to the car. A custom made gauge cluster was made by Allen which now sits on the dash to the left of the steering wheel for me to view all those important things that go on with the engine.

Within the next few weeks, i will be taking some more photos and posting them up as the process goes along for everyone to see. I will try and document as much as possible so then everyone can use it as a guideline if they wish to do the same thing.

Stay tuned as i will be updating the process of things as i go along. Its going to take a few months to do but its going be a absolute animal when its finished. I cant wait to thrash the fuck out of it. Everyone knows what im like with a car... :P

Heres a pic of the beast....

Attached Files

Posted Image
Go Hard Or Fuck Off Home. Kick Ass, Take No Prisoners!!!

All donations to West Coast Cruisers is very much appreciated

Hanaldo

Hanaldo

Resident WCC Aerosol Spray Painter

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 1902 posts
  • Car(s):R34 GT Skyline with GTT engine
That sounds sick Brett! Can't wait to see what its like when done, VH engines are sick, so much torque!

What needs to be done to twin turbocharge the VH41? Custom manifold etc? What is the compression ratio on the VH41DE? Also why not single turbo?

In that pic of the engine bay, it looks like you have a twin pod set up like with GTR's. How did you do that? I've always wanted to do that...

Char

Char

Bugatti Veyron Super Sport

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 766 posts
  • Car(s):R32 ca18de conversion
i'll swap bonnets with u for a stock black one :P u know u want it

V8EATER

V8EATER

• President
  • 2551 posts
  • Car(s):R32 GTS4 4 Door with RB26DETT, R32 GTS-T Coupe Drift Pig, HJ Prem Wgn, 1947 Holden Pontiac Silver Streak
Twin pods? It doesnt have twin pods dude.

It will have a shit load of torque. They recon that once its done with turbos, it will push 600 - 650HP and rev to 7500rpm not a prob. They are a revy little engine with a fuck load of torque. I was very inpressed by there results in performance when reading up about them.

I plan to use my stock turbos from my RB26 onto the engine. Boost will come on real hard because there is more exhaust gases from having a bigger 4.1 ltr engine compared to RB26 2.6 ltr. I will have to make custom manifolds.

For those who dont know what a VH41DE or VH45DE engine is,

Nissan VH Nissan VH41DE & VH45DE
Manufacturer Nissan
Production 1989–2001
Predecessor Nissan Y
Successor Nissan VK

The VH series consists of 4.1 and 4.5 liter engines from the Nissan Motor Corporation. The design consists of a 90 degree V8 with an aluminum cylinder block that features a closed upper deck and a deep skirt. The cylinder heads are also aluminum with a DOHC 4-valve design and pentroof combustion chambers. The production blocks and production head castings were used successfully in various forms of racing including the IRL and IMSA GTP & GTS series.

VH45DE

The VH45DE is a 4.5 liter V8 developed by Nissan for use in the Infiniti Q45 sport luxury sedan (G50 platform) which was released in November 1989. The engine was also used in the Japanese market Nissan President limousine (JG50 platform) which debuted in late 1990. The VH41DE generates 278 hp (207 kW) at 6000 rpm and 292 lb·ft (396 N·m) at 4000 rpm with a redline of 6900 rpm stock.

Some of the pertinent features of the VH41DE & VH45DE are:

- Forged steel crankshaft.
- Forged steel connecting rods.
- 6 Bolt main bearing caps with studs.
- Full-length main bearing girdle.
- Lightweight, floating pistons with molybdenum coating.
- Sodium-filled exhaust valves.
- Cross-flow cooling system.
- Hydraulic lash adjusters.
- Single-row silent timing chain.
- Coil-on-plug ignition system.
- Lifter buckets ride directly on cams to reduce friction.
- Redline of 6900 rpm, Or 7400 RPM's with a modified ECU.
- Compression ratio of 10.2 to 1.
- Bore of 93 mm and stroke of 82.7 mm.
- Dimensions: 890 mm(L) x 740 mm(W) x 725 mm(H).

The 4.5 L VH45DE featured variable valve timing, also known as VTC, from 1990 until 1995. Due to tightening emissions regulations in the US market, the VTC feature was dropped from the 1996 Infiniti Q45. In the following year, the VH45DE was no longer available in any US market vehicles. The engine continued on in the Japanese market until 2002 in the Nissan President limousine.

This engine was used in the following vehicle:

* 1989-1996 Infiniti Q45, 278 hp (207 kW), 294 lb·ft (399 N·m)
* 1991-2002 Nissan President, 278 hp (207 kW), 294 lb·ft (399 N·m)

VH41DE

The VH41DE is a 4.1 liter V8 that was based on the VH45DE. The bore of 93 mm remained but the stroke was shortened to 76 mm. Power output for the new engine was 268 hp (200 kW) at 5600 rpm and 278 lb·ft (377 N·m) at 4000 rpm.

The 4.1 L VH41DE was used in the following vehicles:

* 1997-2001 Infiniti Q45 266 hp (198 kW), 278 lb-ft (370 N-m)
* 1992-1993 Nissan Leopard, 266 hp (198 kW), 278 lb-ft (370 N-m)
* 1991-1996 Nissan Cima Y32, 266 hp (198 kW), 278 lb-ft (370 N-m)

As goes for compession ratio, that is something i need to research more on. Not sure if i need a decompression plate or not yet. It depends on what ecu injectors boost etc i use.

Posted Image

Hanaldo

Hanaldo

Resident WCC Aerosol Spray Painter

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 1902 posts
  • Car(s):R34 GT Skyline with GTT engine
Lol ok my bad, it totally looks like it has twin pods.

Can't wait to see more man, will follow this thread :)

V8EATER

V8EATER

• President
  • 2551 posts
Work has started and the old RB20 is out of the car.

Heres some pics

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Motor Out
Posted Image
Posted Image

Box ready to go into Allen's Skyline to replace hes fucked one.
Posted Image
Posted Image

The next stage is to get the v8 out of the front cut.

Posted Image

V8EATER

V8EATER

• President
  • 2551 posts
Started pulling the V8 out of the front cut. It should be out on the weekend. Will post up some pics as i go along.

Posted Image

Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio

• Moderator - Paid Member -Donator
  • 1302 posts
This is nuckin' futs!

NA_Goodness

NA_Goodness

Resident Photographer

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 3414 posts
  • LocationUnder The Bonnet, Behind The Camera
  • Car(s):1x Giant Fridge, 1x Smaller Freezer
  • Bike(s):Hopefully before January
I've always wanted to do this... Actually I'd rather do an LS1 conversion, but this is a close second :D Cant wait to see it done!!!
RM_Photography
RM_Photography on Facebook

RM_Photography!

Resident supplier of Garret, Sonic Performance, Turbosmart and all Bosch products.
MTQ Engine Systems

Practicality is an unfamiliar concept...

PUNCTUATION SAVES LIVES!!
-Lets eat Grandma
-Let's eat, Grandma!

V8EATER

V8EATER

• President
  • 2551 posts
Yep it should be a weapon.

Posted Image

Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio

• 1302 posts
The twin turbo 1UZ-FE's make a lazy 600hp so you should have more then enough power I think once you're done!

Should make a crazy sound once done aswell! I'm gussing the exhaust will be atleast 3.5"?

NA_Goodness

NA_Goodness

Resident Photographer

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 3414 posts
Crazy is one way of explaining it... :P
RM_Photography

RM_Photography!

Resident supplier of Garret, Sonic Performance, Turbosmart and all Bosch products.
MTQ Engine Systems

-Lets eat Grandma
-Let's eat, Grandma!

V8EATER

V8EATER

• President
  • 2551 posts

The twin turbo 1UZ-FE's make a lazy 600hp so you should have more then enough power I think once you're done!

Should make a crazy sound once done aswell! I'm gussing the exhaust will be atleast 3.5"?

Yer not sure to do it as a twin exhaust setup or single. No muffler is also in my mind. Make it LOUD with a pair of twin turbos zinging there heads off. AHH i cant wait! :D

Posted Image

NA_Goodness

NA_Goodness

Resident Photographer

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 3414 posts
Meh, mufflers are over rated. If it's a race car, the more attention on you the better!!
RM_Photography

RM_Photography!

MTQ Engine Systems

-Lets eat Grandma
-Let's eat, Grandma!

V8EATER

V8EATER

• President
  • 2551 posts
How about staight out twin 2.5" system with twin screamer pipes out hanging out each side of the car. That would get everyones attention.

Posted Image

Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio

• 1302 posts
Yeah, how about that? :P

REAPER

REAPER

• 1250 posts
  • Locationunder ur bed
  • Car(s):aristo pimp mobile (VIP)
  • Bike(s):ur mum
i got wood
Always remember that I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me. An alcoholic is someone you don't like who drinks as much as you do. Don't drink and drive, you might hit a bump and spill your drink. You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on. Stay busy, get plenty of exercise, and don't drink too much. Then again, don't drink too little. Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time. One reason I don't drink is that I want to know when I am having a good time. A meal without wine is like a day without sunshine, except that on a day without sunshine you can still get drunk. I stopped drinking, but only when I sleep. This is one of the disadvantages of wine: it makes a man mistake words for thought. Cigarettes and coffee: an alcoholic's best friend !!!! When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading. I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they always worked for me. The consumption of alcohol may cause pregnancy. A man who exposes himself when he is intoxicated, has not the art of getting drunk. A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory. I drink to forget I drink. Alcohol is necessary for a man so that he can have a good opinion of himself, undisturbed be the facts. Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water. The whole world is about three drinks behind. I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Tritty

Tritty

• Secretary
  • 750 posts
  • LocationKenwick WA
  • Car(s):R32 GTR, HB Torana SL Series 2 (Project), GQ Patrol
Lol Guess you will all be going to a few drift meets in the not too distant future then to witness the monster in action. ;)
Its the little things in life that count.

NA_Goodness

NA_Goodness

Resident Photographer

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 3414 posts
Some of us never miss a drift meet anyway ;) But the more crazy cars on the track, the better. This would be the 2nd craziest conversion out there, after Borneo's SR20DET powered Subaru Liberty.
RM_Photography

RM_Photography!

MTQ Engine Systems

-Lets eat Grandma
-Let's eat, Grandma!

V8EATER

V8EATER

• President
  • 2551 posts
Heres some pics guys. Myself and Allen got busy yesterday and got the motor and box out of the half cut. The V8 is ready for its new custom made bellhousing adapter. I will start work on that soon. Theres a couple of funny ones in there of me and Al stuffing around. Everyone will get a good laugh im sure. :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image