23 replies to this topic

landscribble

landscribble

Bugatti Veyron Super Sport

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 295 posts
  • LocationNOR
  • Car(s):R33 GTS-t
I drove into the carport just now to hear and smell oil emptying itself on the driveway, my engine oil drain plug has vanquished and i had drove about 5-7k's from somewhere, potentially with no plug. until i got home the engine was fine didnt miss a beat, no alerts showing on the dash, oil temp and pressure was normal before shutting it off.

The oil and filter was changed about 3 weeks ago by a mob i would trust like family (AWN warranty needs qualified mechanic to do services). ill have a word with the guy on tuesday, but for now i need a plug, and some f*cking oil.. would anyone know what size bolt and what sort of thread it takes? i could probably find something at work but wasnt sure if its some special thread. Also does anyone know how many litres of oil they take?

Car is a 96 R33 GTS-t SII

Help would be appreciated :thanks:

V8EATER

V8EATER

The fearless leader thats born to cruise...

• President
  • 2551 posts
  • LocationMiles in front of you....
  • Car(s):R32 GTS4 4 Door with RB26DETT, R32 GTS-T Coupe Drift Pig, HJ Prem Wgn, 1947 Holden Pontiac Silver Streak
  • Bike(s):None. Stick em up your ass! Im jinxed riding them.
Should be something like 12mm x 1.25mm

Sounds like someone forgot to do the drain plug up.

Posted Image
Go Hard Or Fuck Off Home. Kick Ass, Take No Prisoners!!!

All donations to West Coast Cruisers is very much appreciated

Nic_A31

Nic_A31

• Paid Member
  • 280 posts
  • LocationSwan View
  • Car(s):Nissan Cefiro A31 ( x2 )
Couldn't have been missing for long.
Given the speed that oil is pumped, and that the sump plug is the lowest point of the entire system, it wouldn've completely drained very quickly.
Go for a drive (in another car :P) and see how far it was leaking/pissing out.

Not sure on the sump plug size, but its very universal for Nissan's.
Any auto store should have them. Nissan keep shitloads in stock and are around the $3 - $4 mark, but I'm sure they're closed Sunday and public hollidays.

Nissan Part Number:
11128-01M0B

http://www.justjap.c...383&cat=&page=1

I'd suggest you take the rocker covers off and take a look at current condition of cams/heads.
New rocker cover gaskets are around the $20 - $30 region from Nissan, less if you're a trade price/cost price customer.

EDIT:
Confirmed 10 x 1.25.
Magnetic.

2LV8ETR

2LV8ETR

Grampa Spec Cockhead

• Vice President
  • 3017 posts
  • LocationArmadale WA
  • Car(s):RB30DET R32 Gts-t Sedan, Hilux SSR-G Surf 4x4
  • Bike(s):Hyosung GT250-R, My wife...
Lucky boy.

Posted Image

landscribble

landscribble

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 295 posts
  • LocationNOR
Cheers guys. :signthankspin:

Nic_A31 is checking condition of cams/heads incase some damage were caused during it was starved of some oil?

Nic_A31

Nic_A31

• Paid Member
  • 280 posts
  • LocationSwan View

Cheers guys. :signthankspin:

Nic_A31 is checking condition of cams/heads incase some damage were caused during it was starved of some oil?

Yep.
With it all pissing out of the bottom, not alot of it would've recirculated back up over the cams (depending on how long you were losing oil)

2LV8ETR

2LV8ETR

Grampa Spec Cockhead

• Vice President
  • 3017 posts
  • LocationArmadale WA
Wouldn't bother too much with that one. You'd do a fuckload more damage to the bottom end before you really hurt the head, especially with the oil draining quickly. There'd be enough up top to keep it happy.

Posted Image

NA_Goodness

NA_Goodness

Resident Photographer

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 3414 posts
  • LocationUnder The Bonnet, Behind The Camera
  • Car(s):1x Giant Fridge, 1x Smaller Freezer
  • Bike(s):Hopefully before January
Shit man, your incredibly lucky!! You could probably trace your oil trail back, cos it won't run with no oil in it for very long. Especially not without throwing the oil light on.
Like Al said, the bottom end will be the most affected, so if you can't hear any noises from the motor chances are it's ok. And the "mechanic you trust like family" deserves to be shot. Cos for it to come out that easily, it couldn't had been tightened all the way.
I've heard too many horror stories about loose sump plugs, glad yours isnt one of them.
RM_Photography
RM_Photography on Facebook

RM_Photography!

Resident supplier of Garret, Sonic Performance, Turbosmart and all Bosch products.
MTQ Engine Systems

Practicality is an unfamiliar concept...

PUNCTUATION SAVES LIVES!!
-Lets eat Grandma
-Let's eat, Grandma!

landscribble

landscribble

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 295 posts
  • LocationNOR
Everything seems alright, put a new 12 x 1.25 sump plug in(guys at repco were a bit stunned when i asked for a 10 x 1.25 plug for a R33, Nic :dunno: ), new oil and filter. No warning lights, no abnormal noises, drives as smooth as any other day. I traced the oil back 3 or 5 corners, about 500m distance. Didnt see any oil on the straight roads.

Lol Rhys i should have said "who i used to trust like family". The boss there is a good guy, his noob apprentice most likely worked on it. :bash:

Nic_A31

Nic_A31

• Paid Member
  • 280 posts
  • LocationSwan View
My bad, I did mean to say 12 :P

Oil plug needs to be more than just "not done up tight enough" to do that shit. Even when it's loose enough that you can turn it either way with just your fingers, oil will only leak very slowly.

Unless the thread on the sump looks like it's been ripped out when you went over a bump or something (which is unlikely, since the lowest point on the sump is still above the crossmember), I'd point the finger and some wanker crawling under your car and undoing it 95% (purely for shits and giggles, or because they actually are a wanker, going out of their way to f**k someone's day up...), rather than your mechanic's apparently noob apprentice, who services cars all day every day.

landscribble

landscribble

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 295 posts
  • LocationNOR

My bad, I did mean to say 12 :P

Oil plug needs to be more than just "not done up tight enough" to do that shit. Even when it's loose enough that you can turn it either way with just your fingers, oil will only leak very slowly.

Unless the thread on the sump looks like it's been ripped out when you went over a bump or something (which is unlikely, since the lowest point on the sump is still above the crossmember), I'd point the finger and some wanker crawling under your car and undoing it 95% (purely for shits and giggles, or because they actually are a wanker, going out of their way to f**k someone's day up...), rather than your mechanic's apparently noob apprentice, who services cars all day every day.

All i know is if someone snuck up to the carport, my 2 dogs that sleep pretty much next to the wall of the carport would know about it and let everyone know in bark language.

Is there anything you can buy or make yourself that has some sort of locking mechanicsm or something to put over the sump plug? (example to stop some d*ckhead from undoing it)

Nic_A31

Nic_A31

• Paid Member
  • 280 posts
  • LocationSwan View
Not really. Tighten in as best you can with a socket/ratchet, and dramatically lower ride height, makes it harder for someone to get under there with tools to undo it.

landscribble

landscribble

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 295 posts
  • LocationNOR
its fairly tight now, and ill be lowering it some more in a week or so anyway

V8EATER

V8EATER

• President
  • 2551 posts
  • Car(s):R32 GTS4 4 Door with RB26DETT, R32 GTS-T Coupe Drift Pig, HJ Prem Wgn, 1947 Holden Pontiac Silver Streak
Dude i think you just caught it in time. The oil light would of been on if it was totally out of oil unless the oil light doesnt work.

No drain plug but got oil presure??? Never heard of that one before.

Posted Image

Ten Four

Ten Four

Loved on Antilag

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 1559 posts
  • LocationWembley
  • Car(s):Changing
Allen did this once :whistling:

landscribble

landscribble

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 295 posts
  • LocationNOR

Dude i think you just caught it in time. The oil light would of been on if it was totally out of oil unless the oil light doesnt work.

No drain plug but got oil presuure??? Never heard of that one before.

haha i know thats what i was thinking :dunno:

2LV8ETR

2LV8ETR

Grampa Spec Cockhead

• Vice President
  • 3017 posts
  • LocationArmadale WA

Allen did this once :whistling:

Wasn't this. The o-ring from the oil filter didn't come away so when I put the replacement on, there wasn't a good seal.

Posted Image

V8EATER

V8EATER

• President
  • 2551 posts
In other words you fucked up. :slap:

Posted Image

2LV8ETR

2LV8ETR

Grampa Spec Cockhead

• Vice President
  • 3017 posts
  • LocationArmadale WA
I never expected the o-ring to stay behind. You live and learn.

Posted Image

NA_Goodness

NA_Goodness

Resident Photographer

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 3414 posts
  • LocationUnder The Bonnet, Behind The Camera
  • Car(s):1x Giant Fridge, 1x Smaller Freezer
  • Bike(s):Hopefully before January
I wipe away the excess oil to remove any dirt/oil/o-rings every time to do a service, without fail. As a result, I've never had that happen to me. It's a good habit to get into, cos not only will you have to clean up 4L+ of oil (8L for a BT50, 10 for diesel Landcruisers/Patrols) you avoid shit from the other guys in the workshop.

I also double and triple check sump plugs.
RM_Photography
RM_Photography on Facebook

RM_Photography!

Resident supplier of Garret, Sonic Performance, Turbosmart and all Bosch products.
MTQ Engine Systems

Practicality is an unfamiliar concept...

PUNCTUATION SAVES LIVES!!
-Lets eat Grandma
-Let's eat, Grandma!