2LV8ETR

2LV8ETR

Grampa Spec Cockhead

• Vice President
  • 3017 posts
  • LocationArmadale WA
  • Car(s):RB30DET R32 Gts-t Sedan, Hilux SSR-G Surf 4x4
  • Bike(s):Hyosung GT250-R, My wife...
Nissan has ended production of RB engines due to the stricter emissions and technology advancements. A more compact all alloy V6 engine with a 3.5 litre capacity (called the VQ35) is now found on newer models.
Having a natural aspirated engine is certainly an advantage as throttle response is better and obviously there is no turbo lag present. However when it comes to modifying modern engines like this one, things get expensive rather quickly and basic mods don’t improve performance as much as it would on a factory turbo car.

Exhaust:
The VQ35 is a great sounding engine even in stock form but are a little quiet, an aftermarket exhaust gives an aggressive note and will unleash a few extra kilowatts. The 350GT has a twin exhaust system as standard which flows relatively well for a factory system but a cat back exhaust will give small gains but to notice the difference, extractors and high-flow cats will also be needed. This is an expensive exercise.

Intake:
Now we have the exhaust side of the engine breathing, the next step is to get more air into the engine. Either use a high performance air filter, or replace the air box with a POD style air filter. If you choose to go the POD filter route I recommend you fabricate some type of shield to keep hot air from the engine bay away from your intake. A cold air intake to the filter from the front of your Skyline will also give you a performance advantage.

Plenum Spacer:
Several companies make a spacer which rests between your lower plenum and upper plenum, to increase plenum volume and reduce restriction.

Crank Pulley:
Some gains have been reported by installing a aftermarket crank pulley.

Flywheel:
Many people choose to upgrade the flywheel at the same time this increases acceleration but you may loose a little torque.

Conclusion:
The 350GT is very expensive to modify and unless you have a fat wallet, the power gains versus performance my not be worth the cost to you. With all the mods listed above you would probably be lucky to have more than 200rwkw, a gain of roughly 30rwkw from stock.
If you want serious power from this engine, forced induction is your best option and many companies (especially in the US) make these kits, from mild supercharger kits, to radical twin turbo kits. The most impressive kit I could find was the APS twin turbo kit which has very little lag and the potential to make up to 600kw at the flywheel with supporting mods. Keeping the standard internals over 300rwkw would not be recommended. Visit APS of more information.

Posted Image