NA_Goodness

Resident Photographer

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 3414 posts
  • LocationUnder The Bonnet, Behind The Camera
  • Car(s):1x Giant Fridge, 1x Smaller Freezer
  • Bike(s):Hopefully before January
Hey guys,
As most of you know, I'm selling the 33 and getting into the 4WD scene. Once I sell, I'll have ~$7k to spend. I've decided I want a 4WD ute, single cab, and prefer a diesel. This leaves me with plenty of options, so I need to narrow it down a bit more. I was thinking Landcruiser or Patrol due to the reliability factor, the bigger 6 cylinder motors (4-cyl wouldnt be fast enough for me after upgrading from the 33), they're bigger and parts are easily found. Now the problem is which one?
I've found a few 40 series utes, which I fucken LOVE!! Such awesome cars, and they look great. Obviously dont have a huge amount of creature comforts, but I prefer that. How are they off road? On sand (Lano) and rocks/mud (Mundaring)? Or touring as well? Most of these had V8s in them too. I'd take a V8 over a diesel, even with high fuel prices. I'm getting a bike soon as well, so I'll ride that when prices get too much.
Other options are an MQ Patrol, or the odd Cruiser that'll fall within the price range. What do you guys reckon?
RM_Photography
RM_Photography on Facebook

RM_Photography!

Resident supplier of Garret, Sonic Performance, Turbosmart and all Bosch products.
MTQ Engine Systems

Practicality is an unfamiliar concept...

PUNCTUATION SAVES LIVES!!
-Lets eat Grandma
-Let's eat, Grandma!

V8EATER

V8EATER

The fearless leader thats born to cruise...

• President
  • 2551 posts
  • LocationMiles in front of you....
  • Car(s):R32 GTS4 4 Door with RB26DETT, R32 GTS-T Coupe Drift Pig, HJ Prem Wgn, 1947 Holden Pontiac Silver Streak
  • Bike(s):None. Stick em up your ass! Im jinxed riding them.
Rhys, my cuzzy Andy aka (MAD AS) has 2 4wd for sale at the moment. Actually i think he has 3 but he might of sold one. My cuzzy is way way worse than James with buying and selling cars. I actually loose track of what he has and moves on. It spins me out. He says to me "when the rego is due, thats normally when i sell it and buy another car". Its unreal. Ive never know someone quite like him for buying and selling cars. You know that 6 wheeler F100 he had??? Thats long gone already. He has photo albums of all the cars he has bought sold in his life. Some of the cars ive seen in the photo albums, ive wanted to slap him and say "Why did you sell it???". :doh:

One of the 4bees is a Nissan Patrol. I think its a MQ wagon with a 350 chev crate motor, manual, fuel/gas, 35 maxxi big horn tyres, alloy rad with twin thermo fans, straight as fuck body with stuff all rust, backs decked out with slide out compartments for camping or whatever you want to put in there, wants $11,000 for it. Its an awesome 4wd. He brought it along on the last 4wd cruise we did. I had a drag race with him in Red and it fairly keeps up with me. Its not a slouch and it goes hard.

Other one is a HJ62 Landcruiser Sahara wagon. 2H diesel, auto, body is A1 condition, interior is A1, think its got elec windows, new tyres and rims (dunno what size), all round very tidy car, probably has more stuff to list but cant remember exactly, wants $5,000.

Another is a FJ40 or 45? with i think also a 350 chev. Im not sure if he has this one as he might of sold it. I dunno if this one is lics either. You would need to call him and ask. ANDY 0405012166

Either way, if you don't like any of the above, let him know what your after as he is an unreal car hunter. Can just about find anything at a good price.

Posted Image
Go Hard Or Fuck Off Home. Kick Ass, Take No Prisoners!!!

All donations to West Coast Cruisers is very much appreciated

NA_Goodness

NA_Goodness

Resident Photographer

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 3414 posts
Thats awesome Brett, thanks! I do remember him from the 2nd photo cruise. Probably won't bother him at the moment because I don't have the money, but will give him a call when the time comes.
How much would a V8 conversion cost roughly? Sadly I don't expect to buy a motor with a free car for $50 :P
RM_Photography

RM_Photography!

Resident supplier of Garret, Sonic Performance, Turbosmart and all Bosch products.
MTQ Engine Systems

-Lets eat Grandma
-Let's eat, Grandma!

Mad Dog

Mad Dog

Holden Commodore

• Paid Member
  • 57 posts
  • Car(s):1999 Nissan Patrol, 1982 Holden Gemini, 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer
any of those cars, that brett said, would be ideal for a person coming in to the 4x4 scene, i personally own a patrol and havent had very many problems and i tend to hit things a lil harder than everyone else, but yeah its what ever you can find, look in the quokka, gumtree, and the auto trader, there is always 4x4 for sale, but you just gotta look and find one, that has been looked after

FEAR THIS 4x4

NA_Goodness

NA_Goodness

Resident Photographer

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 3414 posts
I've been searching GumTree a lot, nothing but a few V8 40 series at the moment. Mechanic I work with reckon they're more suited to farm use then as a daily driver :( Leaning towards a Patrol now though, so thanks for the advice.

I've promised myself I'll spend more time searching this time, instead of just buying the first one like I usually do. lol
RM_Photography

RM_Photography!

MTQ Engine Systems

-Lets eat Grandma
-Let's eat, Grandma!

2LV8ETR

2LV8ETR

Grampa Spec Cockhead

• Vice President
  • 3017 posts
  • LocationArmadale WA
  • Car(s):RB30DET R32 Gts-t Sedan, Hilux SSR-G Surf 4x4
  • Bike(s):Hyosung GT250-R, My wife...

Posted Image

2LV8ETR

2LV8ETR

Grampa Spec Cockhead

• Vice President
  • 3017 posts
  • LocationArmadale WA

Posted Image

NA_Goodness

NA_Goodness

Resident Photographer

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 3414 posts
Kinda useless posts, but still awesome! The first one did well!! I'd hate to see what would happen if he hadnt got back on his wheels...
RM_Photography

RM_Photography!

MTQ Engine Systems

-Lets eat Grandma
-Let's eat, Grandma!

Tritty

Tritty

Bugatti Veyron Super Sport

• Secretary
  • 750 posts
  • LocationKenwick WA
  • Car(s):R32 GTR, HB Torana SL Series 2 (Project), GQ Patrol
Id personally go with a wagon over a ute. allows for taking mates along for a drive/bush bash. You can fold the seats down and sleep in the back in relative comfort.
I know people with Nissan Patrols who swear by them, and people who are landcruiser fans and swear by them. I think it just comes down to personal choice. I tend to be a Landcruiser person myself but for no particular reason, just like the look of em.
Personally Id snap up Cuzy Andys 4x4 with the chev in it, its a really nice vehicle and all set up ready to go. (still cant believe he is selling, he is crazy, I reckon he has owned and sold half the cars in perth.)

Its the little things in life that count.

NA_Goodness

NA_Goodness

Resident Photographer

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 3414 posts
I'm looking on the Patrol4x4 forum at the moment, and really liking the GQ wagons. Sure I wanted a ute, but I guess a wagon would be good also... Plus being leaf sprung, and much cheaper then utes. The best part of having a ute is you DONT need to take your mates everywhere! haha, but I guess I'll have the bike for that one.

Andy's Chev powered MQ sounds awesome! Shame its a bit out of my price range :( Would love a V8 though :P
RM_Photography

RM_Photography!

MTQ Engine Systems

-Lets eat Grandma
-Let's eat, Grandma!

V8EATER

V8EATER

• President
  • 2551 posts
  • Car(s):R32 GTS4 4 Door with RB26DETT, R32 GTS-T Coupe Drift Pig, HJ Prem Wgn, 1947 Holden Pontiac Silver Streak
I fucked up Rhys. It is a GQ and not a MQ. Dont know were i got MQ from. I was pissed typing it up. :P

Posted Image

MAD AS

MAD AS

Mini Moke

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 18 posts
  • Locationgosnells
  • Car(s):TD6 4.2 GU PATROL ,57 CHEVY

I'm looking on the Patrol4x4 forum at the moment, and really liking the GQ wagons. Sure I wanted a ute, but I guess a wagon would be good also... Plus being leaf sprung, and much cheaper then utes. The best part of having a ute is you DONT need to take your mates everywhere! haha, but I guess I'll have the bike for that one.

Andy's Chev powered MQ sounds awesome! Shame its a bit out of my price range :( Would love a V8 though :P

gday goodness my cuzzy got it pretty close my patrol is a gq wagon not the mq and it owes me 16 grand but with no work comes bills also my cruiser is a fj62 series sahara with a 3f petrol and lpg also automatic but give us a call if u interested or know any 1 that is cheers

NA_Goodness

NA_Goodness

Resident Photographer

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 3414 posts
Cheers Andy. If I hear of anyone interested, I'll pass on your number.

Ive pretty much decided (although can still be swayed, it looks like it'll be a while before the 33 sells) on a GQ Patrol (prefer ute, but wagon is fine), must be 4.2 (prefer diesel but EFI or carby is fine), and must be manual. I figured the coil springs would be better then all 4 leafs on a 40 series.
RM_Photography

RM_Photography!

MTQ Engine Systems

-Lets eat Grandma
-Let's eat, Grandma!

2LV8ETR

2LV8ETR

Grampa Spec Cockhead

• Vice President
  • 3017 posts
  • LocationArmadale WA
I've just passed the info on to someone else Andy, but I suspect that you're asking price is $16k, not $11k?

Posted Image

Mad Dog

Mad Dog

Holden Commodore

• Paid Member
  • 57 posts
  • Car(s):1999 Nissan Patrol, 1982 Holden Gemini, 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer
yeah as i said, i own a 99 patrol wagon, which comes in handy with sleeping, coz all ya gotta do is fold down the seats and u have ur bed, and dont have to worry about tents, and somewhere to stay, and also springs have more travel then leaf so the wheels can flex more but yeah its all about money basically the skys the limit on how much you wanna spend haha

FEAR THIS 4x4

NA_Goodness

NA_Goodness

Resident Photographer

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 3414 posts
I'm really not looking to spend too much, about 1/2 what I sell the 33 for so the other half can to into my investment account. However, a cheaper one will need money spent on it, and a more expensive one wouldn't but means less money can be saved... Kinda lose lose here :P
RM_Photography

RM_Photography!

MTQ Engine Systems

-Lets eat Grandma
-Let's eat, Grandma!

V8EATER

V8EATER

• President
  • 2551 posts

I've just passed the info on to someone else Andy, but I suspect that you're asking price is $16k, not $11k?

Im pretty certin it's $11k as that's what he txt me as the price unless he fucked up.

Posted Image

NA_Goodness

NA_Goodness

Resident Photographer

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 3414 posts
Going to look at a GQ wagon on the weekend hopefully. 4.2 carby with 320,000kms. All the diesels have close to 500,000kms, which put me off. So carby it is! Going for $3200, so should be good. I'll let you all know how it goes.
RM_Photography

RM_Photography!

MTQ Engine Systems

-Lets eat Grandma
-Let's eat, Grandma!

Ten Four

Ten Four

Loved on Antilag

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 1559 posts
  • LocationWembley
  • Car(s):Changing

Going to look at a GQ wagon on the weekend hopefully. 4.2 carby with 320,000kms. All the diesels have close to 500,000kms, which put me off. So carby it is! Going for $3200, so should be good. I'll let you all know how it goes.

:roflmao:

NA_Goodness

NA_Goodness

Resident Photographer

• Paid Member - Donator
  • 3414 posts
Least it ain't an AU ;)

And that wasnt the context I was talking about. I use the phrase "should be good" way too much :confused:
RM_Photography

RM_Photography!

MTQ Engine Systems

-Lets eat Grandma
-Let's eat, Grandma!